Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing tires - what do you use to keep the bike upright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing tires - what do you use to keep the bike upright?

As the title implies, in addition to the center stand, what do you use to keep your bike upright while you change the tires? Which wheel would you take off first?

Taking them off one at a time isn't an option since I'm gonna have a shop do it ($30/wheel isn't too bad), I figure I can have them do both while I'm at work (have other priorities at home at the moment, and I don't have a compressor handy...)

My thinking - Take off the front first (need to ballast the rear to remove the weight), and then lean the forks down on a 4x4 piece of wood (or equiv.) to take the weight off the rear and proceed. Alternatively, I'm thinking jack stands with a dowel in the middle, but I'd have to get the height of my stands when I get home to see if they'll drop me low enough.

What's your favorite method?

Thanks!

At home I have front and rear stands that support the whole bike with the wheels off the ground. On the road (or at home if you don't have stands) you just need a support for the front end. Scroll down this page to see a photo of my Strom on the centerstand with a cut off crutch supporting the front on the crash bars. Anything that's stable will serve the same purpose.

Take rear off first and then lift the bike by the front wheel with one hand and stick the support in with the other. Then do the front.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I use a floor jack or a small bottle jack under the front of the engine to remove the front wheel.

I usually take the back wheel off first, because the bike is more stable using the front wheel for support, rather than the jack.

Depending on your bike, be careful removing the front wheel.
      If you have a full set of luggage on the back, like an 1100GK or Vetter bags or anything similar, they might counterbalance the bike enough to be a little tipsy on the centerstand. Have someone near the back of the bike, ready to catch it when you remove the weight of the front wheel.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use an ammo can under the header

Comment

Hi,

Here's one way to keep your bike balanced while both wheels are off.

If you don't have a lift, you can use a small bottle jack, some boards, and set something under the forks and swingarm so that they stay stable. When removing both wheels, I usually remove the rear wheel first simply because with the luggage rack there are more bolts and it takes more effort.

You'll find wheel removal and tire changing guides on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. I have a floor jack that I can use to support the engine and then lower down onto a makeshift stand. I was just worried that that taking the rear off first would make the bike more susceptible to tipping backward, but I suppose having the ol' freight train forward of the center stand helps counterbalance things out

Comment

Forget taking the wheels to a shop. Spend the money at Sears on a bike jack and mount the tires by hand. You'll use it alot more than you think. Cleaning, etc. The 2nd or 3rd time you mount them by hand you'll have paid for the jack and some nice tire irons. Use your jack stands for balancing after mounting.

Comment

I usually use a transmission jack under the engine.

Comment

I recently had mine on the bike jack for more than a month with both wheels and the entire front end off. Very stable and raised it probably 18" off the floor. Made carb work and valve adjustments much easier.

Comment

I, too, can't over-stress the use of a bike tie-down strap to lock that center stand in place. I also like to use overhead bike tie-down straps whenever possible. Just pull the tank and go around the frame, etc. I tend to overdo it on the bracing and, that way, I never have any disasters!!!

Comment

Hi,

There should be a hole that you can shove a screwdriver through that will keep the center stand locked.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                        Hi,

There should be a hole that you can shove a screwdriver through that will keep the center stand locked.

BassCliff
                        On the '80 model 850s, at least. But, on my '82 1100 Gk and my 1100 G, they removed that feature (), so the tie down strap is a necessity (found that out when I put a new tire on the G).

Comment

I rigged a winch onto the beams of my garage, and lift it in the air.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I put it on the centerstand, then use a ratchet strap to hang the front end from an LVL in the shop.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Here's the final setup. I couldn't place a tie-down strap to keep the center stand from folding nor does it have BassCliff's neato center stand lock (why they would delete it is beyond me). I used the spare tire jack from my car (if I get a flat tomorrow I'm f-ed lol) because I don't trust hydraulics to hold. Got it up just enough to remove the front wheel. It'll be a day turnaround so I should have 'em back on by tomorrow.

Funny enough I did used to have a bike jack, but I couldn't use it with the 4-1 exhaust I had on my Kawi at the time, so I sold it for what I paid for it. When the bike goes in the basement for the winter overhaul, I may install a chain hoist on the center steel I-beam of the house. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                              X