Softer Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Softer Ride

Hi all! This is my first post in these forums, and I'm really hoping I'm posting in the correct area...Anyways, I bought a 1982 GS1100GK for my dad. I thought he'd love it since it was the first bike he'd ever owned, Fail!!!!!! He doesn't want the bike, has no interest in it whatsoever. Well, I decided to keep it but am having trouble with the shocks. I don't have money to upgrade them so i was wondering if I should fill the existing ones with air and the move the rear damper setting to 4 or just resist riding until I fix them? This is also the first bike i've ever owned and would like to ride it a bit. I also just recently took a Motorcycle Safety course because i had never ridden before! Hahaha

Wow, that almost looks familiar.
    (Click on the link in my sig for my 850GK? .)

First, you need to figure out why the shocks are hard. They might have locked up with rust on the shaft, or they might just be filled with really cruddy fluid. Either one will make them seem "hard". Simply adding air will only help if the shocks are bottomed out. Your best bet would probably be to replace them, but it's not going to be real cheap.

By the way, congrats on the 'new' bike, an 1100GK is rather ambitious for a first bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr. theoaknme,

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome, now here's a question from another northern Minnesotan. Where might y'all be located? I know I didn't have you in one of my BRC classes, but that don't mean a thing! I could possibly have some time to help you out with that big 'ol GK, but not for awhile. Next weekend I teach the BRC in Duluth, and I agree, that's a whole lot of powerful machinery for a first ride. Be safe!!!!

Comment

Hello again all! Thanks for the responses. I was able to find a owners manual and put air into the shocks, there was a great difference in the ride. It's a quick fix and I am sure i'll get them replaced in the next few weeks! DanTheMan, if you teach one of the courses at Lake Superior College then I am a graduate of your course. My instructors were Fletcher and Pete! Awesome course by the way! I learned so much....I am Now trying to decipher BassCliffs instructions on Carb Cleanup, I'm not gonna try to do it myself, but I'd like to understand it. The bike sat for the last 5 years, has 35,000 miles on it. I don't trust that number but I know nothing about motorcycles so i'll leave that to someone who does!

Comment

Welcome to the site. Believe me Study the carb series and do it yourself.. Take your time and it is not that hard

Comment

Fletcher and Pete are excellent. They've been teaching the course forever. Fletcher is an old Vietnam Vet that you wouldn't believe spent months crawling through the jungles with a gun. He's so laid back it's almost funny. I've taught with both of them, don't remember who I'm teaching with the last weekend of August, haven't looked at the schedule lately. These bikes are addicting, I started with one, now I have 4.....

Oh, the 35,000 number might be accurate. My GK only has 20,000 miles on it.

Comment

Welcome to the club!
                A couple of suggestions:

Using basscliff's site, and picking up a manual, you CAN do all your maintenance yourself. And most everyone here will HIGHLY suggest that you do. If you're at all mechanically inclined, with a little help from us and your manual none of it is that difficult. A shop will rob you blind if they'll work on it at all.
                Valve adjustment, carb cleaning, brake system cleaning and electrical system checks and cleaning of it's contacts are basic items that will keep your new bike onthe road for a very very long time (I had a GK at one point. Same miles as yours, plus about another 100,000. No kidding!)
                Plus, learning to do it is fun! And I've always been of the opinion that as dangerous as motorcycling can be (and it is, no matter how long you've been riding or what courses you've taken) I won't make it moreso by trusting anyone I don't know to work on my bike. Learning to do it yourself ensures that You KNOW it was done correctly and safely.
                And as daunting as some of it may seem, once you get your hands dirty and get in there, these motors and designs are really quite simple. Overbuilt, durable, powerful, but simple.

Again, welcome! And good luck!

TCK

Comment

Working...
                X