GS1100 swingeram.. Swap or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 swingeram.. Swap or not?

Is there any good reason to swap to a GS1100 swingarm onto my 78 GS1000 if you don't have any plan to swap rims?

I already have the swinger so it's not a $$ thing..

That is all.. Thanks..
    Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2011, 04:36 PM.

Yes. Put it on and go and ride round some bumpy corners - you won't regret it.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

made a lot of differance to the handling to my Gs1000s and it lot lighter than the steel original thingy.

Comment

I believe the weight saving is 7lb
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Awesome.. It'll go on the bike then..
          I also have a GSXR 750 SRAD swinger but it would need the top hat bushings and shock mounts welded on.

I'll go with the GS1100 swinger.

Now I need to find some Kawi ZRX shocks for a decent price..
          Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2011, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Darn it, I was hopefull the conscensus would be not worth it going on a 1000. I am always watching for one to put on my 750. Is there a "How To" thread on here how to do the swap? I understand the basics on having to drill out the pivot holes or install bushing in the swinger... but a step-by step thread would be cool. Maybe you could document your upgrade.

Comment

What are you saying? I can put an 1100 swing arm on the 750?
              I'd go for a weight saving device, and right now my swing arm is off...

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post
                What are you saying? I can put an 1100 swing arm on the 750?
                I'd go for a weight saving device, and right now my swing arm is off...
                Yep, there are several who have done the swap here. The aluminum 1100 swinger is longer and extends the wheelbase of a 750. Reportedly the pivot shaft is larger diameter on the 1100 so either
                A) the pivot holes in the frame need enlarged to use the 1100 shaft or
                B) Bushings need to be fabricated to use the stock 750 shaft in the 1100 swinger.
                I have read posts where a member here was making the bushing for a few $. Those 1100 aluminum swinger usually fetch about $200 so I am always looking for a good bottom dollar deal on one for future mod.

Wait a minute, I just added more competitors... I meant to say "No... they will not fit, no way, can't be done!"

Comment

It DEFINITELY won't fit on a '79 1000 so you should just send it to me.

The rear peg/ exhaust mount does need to be nudged a tiny bit though.
                  I am cutting mine off and replacing with newer model mounts.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                  X