Tire date on newly received tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snark View Post
    I got a Shinko 712 at a Cycle Gear store in July and they manufacture day was 111 (first week of January 2011). As for lasting...the tier I replaced had a manufacture date of 508. I had to replace it because it dry rotted and wouldn't pass inspection. I had just put it on two years ago and it had about 6K miles on it...a decent amount of tread left. I would return the tire, get your money back and buy one locally. You may even find a shop that will price match.
    If a tire dry rots in three years, it was defective at the factory.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

If I am not mistaken, DOT guidlines say 12 years old is the cutoff if ever mounted or not.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        If I am not mistaken, DOT guidlines say 12 years old is the cutoff if ever mounted or not.
        I've never heard that before. Do you have a reference? From what I've seen, modern tires that were made and stored properly properly should be OK for decades.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I've got this new Shinko 230 sitting here in the living room (if you can call it THAT) on top of the box containing most of the pieces of the front-end for one of my Jettas (bachelorhood is sooo cool!!!!) and I just can't wait to put it to work......next summer (whimper)........

Comment

On that early dry rotted tire, you didn't happen to use Meguiars tire shine on it did you?
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Actually the year thing i was referencing came from like 60 mintes or one of those "we investigate " news deals. They were investigating the supposed rash of highway deaths from bug rig tires exploding and also about the retreading processes and that sort of thing. They had the guy doing the investigating standing along the roadside by a peel off for the drama effect for the camera.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I just mounted a set of Shinko's as well.

I didn't even check the dates...they're from Korea, how much worse can it get?

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Actually the year thing i was referencing came from like 60 mintes or one of those "we investigate " news deals. They were investigating the supposed rash of highway deaths from bug rig tires exploding and also about the retreading processes and that sort of thing. They had the guy doing the investigating standing along the roadside by a peel off for the drama effect for the camera.
                  Thanks. For big rigs, it makes sense. But also consider that DUI for them is 0.04%. An abundance of caution.

Still, riding on only two wheels we should also use an abundance of caution. I still contend that a tire that dry rots in 12 years was defective at the factory. We should replace our motorcycle tires long before dry rot sets in.
                  sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Working...
                  X