No announcement yet.

Sonicsprings for gs450e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were to hazard a guess it would be that on a dual caliper situation it might be drilled to allow the spiral on the piston there to move more fluid. I wouldn't drill it. I just pressed a sewing needle there and assumed that would be sufficient. Was able to build enough pressure without it to eject the piston from the caliper.
    Hate to hijack the thread, but is there something holding this rubber boot in there?

Comment

There shouldn't be. It may have a pretty deep groove to seat in though, like the piston ring. I know the boot on the master cylinder piston took some doing, it's seat was pretty deep too. I use a fine point punch to get in beside then behind the ring to pry it out, they can be kind of glued in with dried fluid too.

And thanks for the info on the mystery hole, makes sense. Thank god i don't have to pry that reservoir off, it looks mint.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear you're going the OEM route

As for the dust boot on the caliper, it's just sitting in a recess there to hold it in place.

Being that it's old rubber it may have somewhat fused itself in place, so just rip it out, clean the recess, and you should be good to go again with a new dust boot.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Cdnpt1 View Post
          Howdy, I have been in touch with Rich at Sonicsprings looking in to upgraded fork springs for my 81 450. Od on those is 0.93 inches, that is if my caliper skills can be relied on. Rich doesn't currently have springs listed for the bike so he asked for that measurement. Hopefuly he will have something we can use. I asked for a .95 kg/mm rate as calculated by the calculator on the sonicsprings website. I will post his response.
          Not to derail the post from the currentbrake discussion, but do you know if the L has the same diameter springs as the E? I've already talked to Rich and will be getting some Sonics for my SV, but I may just order some for my GS as well while I'm at it, since the fork oil needs to be changed anyways.

-sarge

Comment

Hey, how did we get back to springs? Lol. Thats a good question, i looked them up for e and l on the alpha sports fiches and they have a diff number but not sure that mean anything. My springs came in today so i will head out and check fit and get back to you.

Comment

Sorry guys, no joy with the sonic springs. Stock springs have an od of .930, the gs750 springs measured out at .950. I will add some pics in the next day or two so you can see the diff. On the plus side Rich was good enough to give me a return shipping lable in case they didnt work. I have to give kudos to them for the service, I will use them again if the need arises. Looks like progressives then.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

OK, I was just looking and I saw these on sale. Shipping is like $12.50 to PA so like $71 delivered.

Seems like a pretty good sale price. Thinking about ordering these myself now since the last time I searched they were $82+s&h
                Any thoughts?

Comment

I think that is the way to go, they always send a good length of spacer material so i may do some experimenting with diff spacers to see what works best. Thanks for the link.

Comment

I just ordered those springs for my bike. I'll let you know when they get here

Comment

Ok, just for reference, here is a pic of the gs750 spring from Sonicsprings, and pics of the measurements on OD for the stock 450 spring and the 750 spring.

First, the stock spring below, GS750 spring above:

blurry pic of caliper on the stock spring. no more coffee for me before taking pictures:

Caliper on the 750 spring:

I put the stock spring at .930 and the sonicsprings gs750 spring at just under .950(i didn't write it down, need one o them fancy whiteboards) Either way she wasn't going to fit.
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Bugger! I know a lot of guys like static rate springs but I guess that's how it goes.

I went Ikon progressives on mine as they were the same price locally here as the Progressive progressives... ha... that's funny right there... sorry couldn't help myself.

sigpic

Comment

Apopleptic just ordered some progressive progressives(sounds like a political movement) on sale here, I don't imagine that the Ikon is too much different in rate, what length spacer did you use for yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdnpt1 View Post
                            Apopleptic just ordered some progressive progressives(sounds like a political movement) on sale here, I don't imagine that the Ikon is too much different in rate, what length spacer did you use for yours?
                            Yeah saw that, and yes it does sound a little dodgy... haha

No spacers required with the Ikons, they're a straight swap in for the stock springs. Only need spacers if the stock springs have spacers or if you want to add some pre-load.

My guess is some PO's have added spacers to cater for the crap weak stock springs...

sigpic

Comment

Gotcha, I will see what apo says about the progressives before I dive in, too many other things to do first, at this point I doubt I will have her back on the road this season anyway.

Comment

I know the feeling, I'm still hoping for Christmas but I think I'll be pushing it...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X