No announcement yet.

Sonicsprings for gs450e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's right, you are coming into the nice part of the year aren't you? I have been spending my time shingling the garage roof so all this work doesn't get rained on but should finish that tonight. Waiting on master cylinder parts, new airbox, etc. may just have to go bounce around on the stock springs anyway.

Comment

Actually we're pretty much 365 days a year where I am, aside from floods and storms and things like that...

Shingling the roof sounds like fun! Well maybe not... my garage is part of the bottom story of the house, which is good for things like getting in there easily at night, but bad because noise and smells tend to get in the house...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

LMAO, mine is about 15 metres away and I still manage smells in the house. I haven't been down your way in a long time and that was NZ anyway so weather was a little cooler.

Comment

Let's just say carb cleaning wasn't a favourite

And yeah, definitely cooler in NZ!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
            I just ordered those springs for my bike. I'll let you know when they get here
            FYI I received my springs today. I never received a confirmation that they shipped or a tracking number, but I suppose that 4 business days to receive isn't to bad. Especially for $71.15 with s&h.

Here's a picture of the stock spring in between the two new springs one with spacer on the end.

I also noticed one end of the spring is tapered.
            I got a drop of oil on my digital caliper so it isn't reading Right at the moment.

Comment

Wonder why the taper. So you they do have some pre-load with the spacer on them. Let me know how they feel, I my have to order a set.

Comment

I'll let you know how they feel once I have them on.

I'm not an engineer so I'm not 100% on the tapered spring.
                But, the taper is on both the old and the new springs. It was on the end with the wider spaces between the coils on both so I am forced to think that it is to reduce the likelihood of the last few coils from sliding over each other and ruining the spring on the end with the softer compression after the spring has some wear on it. I think that the act of spring tensioning is going to add a straightening pressure along the whole length of the coil (think how the spring on the cam chain tensioner works) causing expansion of the diameter along the whole length of the spring and that would allow softer end to absorb more of it before hitting the side wall of the fork tube.

Or maybe not, I don't feel like looking it up after typing such a long winded theory

Comment

LOL, I am perfectly willing to take that as a sound theory.

Comment

OK, just got the sonicsprings refunded and the progressives from JCmotors ordered, thanks once again to apo for the link. I think this is the last thing to be done before I get back on the road, well, after the carbs get dipped and orings and the replacement airbox shows up, the springs should get here last though. May get a ride in yet this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X