Brake pad options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad options

I'm getting ready to do some work to my '81 GS1000G with like 55K miles. The clutch is slipping under upper RPM load. Reading posts here, it looks like I can replace the springs and fix this. I'm looking at using the EBC springs, so that part is solved.

While I've got it apart, I'm going to redo the front brakes by making my own SS hoses, but I'd like some advice on pads. I used Galfer Green on the ST1100 I recently rebuilt and they're great. I don't see a listing for them for the 1000G though.

Since I want to stay with one vendor to reduce shipping costs, I looked at Bike Bandit since they sell the EBC springs for $9. They offer several brake pads, but the reviews are for various bikes, not the GS. Here are the choices-
    EBC Organic Brake Pads

BikeMaster Brake Pads (cheapest)

Braking Semi-Metallic SM1 Brake Pads

DP Standard Sintered Metal Brake Pads (significantly higher cost than the others)

Any advice or experience with these?

Those EBC springs are stiff, and will increase hand effort considerably. Most of the time replacing the stock springs with fresh OE springs will solve the common slipping clutch problem without the hand effort downside.

Organic pads are the safe bet. The type of stainless steel used on the GS brake rotors is somewhat soft and metalic pads can bite in a create a fair bit of wear, although some people say the performance is better.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Organic pads are the safe bet. The type of stainless steel used on the GS brake rotors is somewhat soft and metalic pads can bite in a create a fair bit of wear, although some people say the performance is better.
      Soft???
      Have you tried to cut them on a brake lathe with new carbide bits?
      If you can find them for your bike, I highly recommend SBS brake pads.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
        Soft???
        Have you tried to cut them on a brake lathe with new carbide bits?

Daniel

Once again Daniel, you are defeating yourself with scarcasim.

Using metallic pads on a GS brake rotor will result in a lot of rotor wear. I don't know what kind of stainless steel Suzuki used on the GS rotors, but they are softer than modern rotors that seem to tolerate metallic pads with less wear.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Perhaps you ride around with your hand on the brake lever a bit too much.
          Try to relax a bit while riding and it is much more enjoyable.
          Have you tried engine braking while riding?

Daniel

Comment

Daniel Ed is absolutely correct. Using a sintered/metalic pad on these older rotors will chew them up quick. Yes, the fade resistance may be nice for a while, and for now rotors are semi plentiful (I've got a ton if anyone needs..lol) but he's correct. If you ride aggressively, braking hard before corners they will kill the rotors. I've made the mistake. I switched to organics, and EBCs newest organic compound is actually quite good for the GSes. On my ZRX, even with modern rotors I've been using EBC HH pads. Fantastic stopping power, very very little fade, but yes, they've worn the rotors pretty good. Planning on new rotors anyway, aftermarket. I would not recommend HH pads on GS rotors (if they even make them, I've never looked).

Comment

I agree with both of you.
              These SBS pads (Semi-metalic) and the rotors that I turned on a brake lathe, have been on this bike since about 1995
              and have traveled more than 70,000 miles.
              If you look closely, you can barely make out the wear indicator on the pads in the first pic and all of the missing wear on the rotor in the second.

I should probably replace both of them. (Pads and rotors)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to upgrade to larger rotors (per the thread in the for sale area) with Kawasaki calipers and braided SS hoses. I bought some EBC organic pads for them.

Comment

I went with the 3 EBC / 3 stock springs plan. I'll get a bit more of a workout shifting now! The go part is fixed, just waiting for calipers to fix the stop part.

Comment

I'm in the market for front pads on my '82 1100G and am disappointed with how few choices I have. I've been a big fan of EBC's, especially their HH, but decided against them after reading how they wear out the GS rotors. Doesn't really matter though since the HH and the SBS, my next choice, aren't available for the 1100G. Unless I hear otherwise from someone with experience, that leaves EBC plain jane pads. Anyone have any suggestions other than doing the Kaw caliper upgrade?
                    Thanks in advance,
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Just to throw out another option that hasn't been mentioned, Vesrah's kevlar pads have noticeably more "bite" than the EBC organics.

They can be hard to find, though -- Dennis Kirk is perpetually out of stock. Cycle Recycle II here in Indy stocks them - most 1980+ GS models take the VD-322.

I've used a set of Ferodo metallic pads, and while they work a good bit better in the dry, they can be a bit scary in the wet, and yes, they do cause a lot more visible wear to the rotors.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Just to throw out another option that hasn't been mentioned, Vesrah's kevlar pads have noticeably more "bite" than the EBC organics.
                        That's what I've got in mine and I like them as well.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Having pretty much exhausted the various online dealers, I resorted to looking through ebay where there are loads of options. Now I have a question that I'll post both here and using a new thread to see if I'll get responses from some who may not be following this one. I've noticed that some listings on ebay mention the same part number for a particular pad fits both the 1100G and the 1100E & ES. However, other listings for pads for an 1100E & ES don't include the 1100G. My question is: does anyone know for a fact if pads for an 1100E & ES will fit the 1100G?
                          Thanks
                          Willie
                          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                            Having pretty much exhausted the various online dealers, I resorted to looking through ebay where there are loads of options. Now I have a question that I'll post both here and using a new thread to see if I'll get responses from some who may not be following this one. I've noticed that some listings on ebay mention the same part number for a particular pad fits both the 1100G and the 1100E & ES. However, other listings for pads for an 1100E & ES don't include the 1100G. My question is: does anyone know for a fact if pads for an 1100E & ES will fit the 1100G?
                            Thanks
                            Willie
                            Same same. Pads for the 80 on bikes will interchange. I think the brackets and even the calipers changed a little here and there but I've got a box o pads and used em on every GS minus the round puck models. I think maybe the 1150 used some different pads but not sure. Keep in mind that the 1150 was still an 1100 overseas so if that's the shop you find you might email them and ask.

Edit... Nevermind Willie I stand corrected. I never knew they used different pads. Never ran across a problem but I prolly just got lucky... I'll have to go dig through the bin and see if I see a difference. Learn summn' new every day
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

EBC springs are ROUGH man....
                              They will definitely solve your "slippage" problem though...

But holy ****, I went riding on a cold night and threw my hand out....I literally couldn't engage the clutch, it hurt so bad.
                              I had to ride home Just flipping threw gears.

I had no problems with the clutch before that, but after that incident, my hand hasnt really been the same.

Felt like riding a harley!

Comment

Working...
                              X