Making fork legs "airless"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making fork legs "airless"

As one of the fork legs on the 550 project was dissassembled by the PO and missing a few key parts (like the frikin cap) I thought the best course of action was to get new forks. Long story short I got a set from a 750 which seem to be the same size but were designed for air inflation. They did not come with the air valves, however.

I've read in the archives that most guys do away with air but I guess they leave the valves in place as a seal against the hole. In my case I was thinking about just plugging the holes in the fork legs (weld) and putting a spacer on the springs. Is this workable?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
    Spyug

Svsooke was parting out 3 750's and may have the air fittings. I tried it both ways when I put new seals in. I think I noticed a difference, but maybe I wanted to. If there is, its pretty subtle.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

I would try and get new caps. I would be very hesitant to weld them shut (if I am understanding your post correctly) because this would make it next to impossible to service the forks later. For example changing fork oil, or springs, or seals.

I'm sure that you can find the parts that are missing, and if it is just the caps I would get new ones and continue the rebuild.

As far as airless goes, many progressively sprung bikes do away with the air.

Comment

No he's talking about the little air hole on the side of the tube. I can't see any problem with plugging it. As long as the weld is smooth enough to slide through the fork brackets.
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Fine to block up those holes - you're just turning them in to 'normal' tubes. You can to play about with spacers to set the suspension up to your own liking afterwards.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks guys. After looking more closely, the 750 forks I got are not in the greatest shape so I'm thinking I will "frankenstein" the two sets taking the best from each. The sliders from the 550 set are in better shape anyway so I likely won't need to plug the holes on these 750s.

Cheers,
            spyug

Comment

Working...
            X