Some questions about caliper/MC rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions about caliper/MC rebuild

Hi guys, was going to try and send these off to a dealer to do due to my health, but just can't raise the funds so will have to have a go myself. Bike has been sitting for several months or more because I've been too crook to go near it, and the brakes are binding badly.

Very much a mechanical noob, so have a few basic questions:

1. Calipers: what sort of grease do I need? Workshop manual mentions silicon grease for the axles, but nothing about the pad shims. I've read on here and magazines re people using copper or rubber grease somewhere or other. Others use nothing. Do i need it and where does it go?

2. Circlip pliers: have never used them and may never again so just after a cheap pair to do the job inside the M/C. What type and size do I need? Internal or external ones? Straight, long nose or bent? Large or small size?

3. When you order cup and piston sets from parts suppliers like Boulevarde Suzi, is that all you get in the packet, or do you get the oring and other stuff to refurbish the rest of the MC?

4. What size I.D. (inside diameter) clear plastic tubing will I need to fit the brake bleeders?

I'm not able to use brake cleaner, and not sure how I'll even go with the brake fluid. Was going to try and use maybe metholated spirits or maybe a small amount of WD40 to try and clean out any crud inside the calipers. Do you think either of these will be able to do the job OK?

Many thanks

1. Copper antisieze on the backs of the pads will be okay.

2. Trust me, you'll use them again on the gear shift lever and the forks. Cheap pair will work for a little while but I'm already cussing mine out and will probably buy new ones next year.

3. I only got the piston and cup for the MC only; rebuild kits for the caliper came with both seals and a new piston.

4. My hose was whatever came with the Mityvac I bought so I'm not positive but I would think 4mm or 5mm????

Post up some pics when you can but you really do need brake cleaner to get them cleaned (do you have a health reason why not?)

Take care.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the reply mate I have a serious long term illness, and part of the new stuff I developed after its onset is nasty reactions to all sorts of chemicals and solvents. Any whiff of something like brake or carb cleaner would see me in hospital very quickly unfortunately. Never had an allergy in my life before this came along about 13 years ago. Very frustrating. Also mostly housebound (and often bedbound) these days which makes things a bit difficult.

I've read there are 2 types of circlip pliers - inernal and external? Do you know which one I'll need for the MC? A large or small set? Curved or straight?

Won't start removing them from the bike for another week or so yet (not well at the moment) and will post some pics then. Hoping things aren;t too bad inside, and that I may be able to reuse some components.

cheers

Rick

Comment

You could certainly clean the parts up with liquid soap and water. Dry everything with air when done. Reassembly of calipers and mc will require a small amount of clean brake fluid. If you can't wear gloves and a mask, then perhaps you could get a friend to help you with reassembly so you don't have to come in contact with the brake fluid.

Comment

Circlips pliers needed...straight...long ....did I say long. I bought a circlip that didn't quite have the length needed.Used an awl

see the circlip down there?

Here is what is inside. minus dustboot which I destroyed removing.

Hope the pics help.
          http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
          1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Yes, the circlip is internal, and yes, your pliers need to be quite long. My circlip pliers set won't reach down far enough. I too used an awl to take my MC plunger out (I bought a new MC so I never tried to put the clip back in with an awl though!). I've heard tales told of taking cheap needle-nose pliers and grinding the tips down to use those.

Comment

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2868 This is what is really needed to get it out.No I don't have a set

Comment

As far as cleaning,what about boiling in water or lemon juice(acidic)?
                I stuck my cylinder in a jar of Chem dip for a day then boiled to remove all residue.
                Cleaning brushes from Harbor Freight.
                Will need to repaint master cylinder(which I planned to do anyway)
                http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

When I did my MC I bought some 4" needlenose pliers and touched them up just a bit at the nose. Did the job.

Comment

Sorry I didn't respond earlier this morning when I first saw this but i was on the way out the door for class. Yes, internal circlips are needed and you can get a cheap pair from Harbor Freight (or whatever is similar over there) although you'll probably end up cussing them out like I have lately.

How far from Pete and Simon are you? Maybe they can help out some.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

SVSooke: would those snapring pliers also work for the carb needles?

Comment

Yes,that is there other application.

Comment

Thanks very much everyone for the info and pics. It would be great if soap and water would work on these. I'll find myself some pliers and let you know if I have some more questions. Cheers, Rick

Comment

Hey Rick,
                            Just read your post. I am happy to help you out if you wish.

If you are able to afford to post the items to me I will happily rebuild the calipers and MC for you. If you can include the hoses as well, I'll even bleed the system so all you have to do is put it back on your bike.
                            I'm in Victoria, I dont think postage would cost more than $10-$15.

Obviously I'm doing this for you free so dont think I'm going to ask for some cash

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Working...
                              X