rear wheel bearing and spacer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear wheel bearing and spacer question

pulled the rear wheel to remove/replace bearings. It appears as if the spacer is not aligned with the 2 bearings. The bearings still spin ok, but I have new bearings so I'll replace them anyway. My question is, could this have caused the rear wheel to heat up to the point that the tube failed? Is the spacer something that would wear out from normal wear and tear? I suspect this is the reason for the flat I had a month or so ago.

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
    pulled the rear wheel to remove/replace bearings. It appears as if the spacer is not aligned with the 2 bearings. The bearings still spin ok, but I have new bearings so I'll replace them anyway. My question is, could this have caused the rear wheel to heat up to the point that the tube failed? Is the spacer something that would wear out from normal wear and tear? I suspect this is the reason for the flat I had a month or so ago.

I would think if the bearing was hot enough to cause your tube to fail that the hub would have been glowing red! So no, I don't think this is what caused your flat.

Can you send a pic showing the bad alignment?

The spacer should not wear out under normal conditions as the wheel spins on the bearings and not the spacer.

-Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Originally posted by 5azzmonkey View Post
      I would think if the bearing was hot enough to cause your tube to fail that the hub would have been glowing red! So no, I don't think this is what caused your flat.

Can you send a pic showing the bad alignment?

The spacer should not wear out under normal conditions as the wheel spins on the bearings and not the spacer.

-Dave
      I'm not sure how well you can see it, but if you look through, it looks like the bearing and the spacer holes partially eclipse each other, for lack of a better word.

here's some video too:

Comment

when I pulled over with the flat rear tire, the rear was hot. After I had the tube replaced and rode it to work, when I got home that night, the rear tire was hot again. Maybe it's some sort of problem with the tire. The tires are tubeless, but these rims require tubes.

Comment

I wouldn't suspect the bearings to get so hot as to flatten your tire and if your rear wheel is getting hot you better check and see if your rear brake is hanging. Other than normal heat generated from your tire which you will get as you ride there is nothing besides the brake that can produce the amount of heat you are describing , because if it were bearings and they got that hot they would have seized by now. Check your brakes
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
            I wouldn't suspect the bearings to get so hot as to flatten your tire and if your rear wheel is getting hot you better check and see if your rear brake is hanging. Other than normal heat generated from your tire which you will get as you ride there is nothing besides the brake that can produce the amount of heat you are describing , because if it were bearings and they got that hot they would have seized by now. Check your brakes

I second the heat being caused by the brakes. Let us know how you make out.

-Dave
            82 GS1100E
            five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
            Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

When you install your axle bolt it lines the spacer with the bearings. Otherwise it wouldn't go in.

Comment

I'll put it back on this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Comment

The spacer in the hub floats between the bearings, and it should be a simple matter to center it with the axle. And another agreement that the bearings did not cause your flat tire.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

1. Don't overtighten the axle bolt. It will make the brake drag and misalign the rear wheel.

2. You've got an '80 from your sig. You can run tubeless on the rear (unless the smaller bikes were different than my '80 850). I run tubeless on the front and rear wheels of my bikes. The back rim is stamped for tubeless tires, the front doesn't say tubeless but I've been running tubeless for several years without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                      1. Don't overtighten the axle bolt. It will make the brake drag and misalign the rear wheel.

2. You've got an '80 from your sig. You can run tubeless on the rear (unless the smaller bikes were different than my '80 850). I run tubeless on the front and rear wheels of my bikes. The back rim is stamped for tubeless tires, the front doesn't say tubeless but I've been running tubeless for several years without any problems.
                      the range that Clymer shows for the rear axle nut is 36 to 58 ft/lbs; I tightened it near the lower end. Gonna try to take it out for a ride this weekend and see how it goes. What crazy weather; yesterday it was 80 degrees, tonight I ride the 200 home and it's 53.

Comment

put the rear wheel back on yesterday, and adjusted the rear brake with about 1" of play. I started it up, and ran it in gear on the center stand. As soon as I pull in the clutch, the rear wheel stops. I'm going to back the adjuster out and try it again. If not, I'm not sure what the next step is. I might pull off the sprocket cover and see if there is anything in contact with the chain.

Comment

Working...
                        X