'78 GS750 Caliper Rebuild Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750 Caliper Rebuild Kit

I am now the proud owner of a 1978 GS750. I do not know the last time anyone looked at the braking system but, since the fork seal had leaked on to the front pads I feel I should replace them. I had thought that while I did that I would rebuild the calipers at the same time.

My biggest problem is trying to find a rebuild kit for the front brake caliper. I can find them for the rears, but not the front. Any suggestions? I do not think disassembling them without a rebuild kit is wise for fear of tearing a seal. Do I just replace the pads, rebuild the MC and flush and change the fluid and leave it at that? Or maybe change the lines to SS as well?

Any thoughts?

If I do go for the SS lines, do most people just have them made?

A.J.

I get my SS lines from z-1 enterprises
    I would bet they have caliper rebuild kits.
    Also EBay,or if your looking for OEM many sources like Bike Bandit.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

The seals in the calipers are pretty hefty... I don't think there's much chance of tearing one. I've "rebuilt" several calipers simply by disassembling them & doing a good cleaning. You will be amazed at the sludge & yuck in there...

Getting the pistons out can be a challenge sometimes - use compressed air to pop them out, but BE CAREFUL they don't shoot across the room or worse, smack you in the head!!! Hold a rag over them while you "gently" apply compressed air to ease them out.

The rubber dust boots may rip, but if you're careful when you remove them they can usually be re-used.

The real issue will be the condition of the pistons, make sure they are not pitted. The pits allow the brake fluid to bypass the seal.

Good luck,

mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I still could not find the caliper rebuild kit online, so, I called Z1 Enterprises and Chris there was able to track down all the parts. Once I get them I will give it a shot at give you guys an update.

Comment

Would be nice to hear how the rebuild went.
          esp since people are generally suggesting not to go with Z1s rubber brake parts.
          any update?
          thanks

Comment

K&L Rebuild Kits

What does everyone think about K&L caliper rebuild kits?

I have been looking for OEM rebuild kits but can't find any at Bike Bandit and other sites.

Comment

Yeah - we had this thread a couple of weeks ago. Same applies to brake rebuild kits I guess. Make your own mind up:

Greetings
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
              X