Stop me before I kill again . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop me before I kill again . . .

So I built those SS brake lines per the sage advice of Nessism. It was easy as pie.

When I went to bleed the front brake to install the new line, the f*ck*ng bleeder snapped off. The broken bleeder is not leaking, so I can wait for a new front caliper that I ordered of eBay.

As I look into the rear brake bleed, I figured it worth checking out any better approaches, so I don't botch the rear bleeder too.

The front popped like so.

I started with my 8mm box wrench. It got a so-so grip on the bleeder nut, but would slip before turning the nut. My box wrenches are a bit cheapo, but the nut also showed a lot of wear. My sockets are better. So, I hit the area with some brake cleaner to get rid of dust/grime and then shot some PB blaster to loosen the bleed nut.

Waited a bit for the PB to do its thing. Then I returned with my 8mm socket, figuring the better tool would improve the grip. Using my 3/8" drive ratchet, but not necessarily "Hulking" out on it, the nut seemed to give a bit. Joke was on me, as that was the bolt metal failing as the whole thing sheared off of the caliper.

Given that series of events, any tips on how to NOT screw this up on the rear brake? The new front caliper was not terribly expensive ($25), and I had already picked up new pads for both brakes, so I am really only losing a little time, while I wait for the new caliper. Assuming rear calipers are not wildly more pricey than the front, I am in the same boat going forward. If that rear brake snaps too, I can get another one. I don't think these brakes have been tended in many moons.

That said, I am hoping that the wisdom of this forum can reduce my odds for a second fumble.

On a related matter, are the caliper rebuild kits worth doing? Z1 only carries a set for the rear brake, but some other posts suggest that stripping the assembly down and giving it a good cleaning is generally all that's needed.

TIA

Since you have the time, start hosing the remaining bleeders down with PB daily, in a week or so.
    Are you using 6pt sockets?
    Also 5/16" is just a hair tighter than 8mm

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
      Since you have the time, start hosing the remaining bleeders down with PB daily, in a week or so.
      Are you using 6pt sockets?
      Also 5/16" is just a hair tighter than 8mm
      Sweet. That 5/16 tip sounds great.

The sockets are 6-point IIRC. The box wrench was 12.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

When I installed new Goodridge brake lines I also rebuilt my front calipers. I used OEM kits from Partshark.com. Now that I think about it, the bleeders were a little worn and I probably should have replaced them too. Maybe speed bleeders would be nice?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Mister Cinders if you call Z1 Enterprises they can get you all the pieces of a front caliper rebuild kit. Chris there was most helpful.

Comment

You may not have to replace the whole caliper just because the bleed screw sheared. Sometimes you can get it out. It even has a nice predrilled center hole.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Blowtorch, cool, penetrating oil, let it sit.

Pentrating oil, more penetrating oil, even more penetrating oil.

Then have a go at undoing the blighter using a ring spanner; 2 fingers only. If it doesn't shift go back to the beginning. These beggars just love to shear off when they've sat on there a while.

Oh, if you snap one just replace the banjo bolt with a bolt with a built in bleeder - about £5.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Mine had considerable corrosion and was not that close to 8mm any longer. It made me nervous but I did manage to get it out with a 6 pt. deep socket. Anyway, my seals on the caliper were fine so the bleeder was really the only part that needed to be replaced. Advance had a kit of two which fit perfectly for $6. Of course there's only one caliper on my bike, but that's still a little bit cheaper (and a lot less waiting) than one OEM.

Comment

As others have said, I avoid using my 12-point wrenches unless really necessary because they grip on the corners. But if the threads are that corroded, patient use of heat and oil is the best solution. It just can't be done in a hurry.

As for prevention, a layer of Teflon tape on the bleed screw threads or a light coat of anti-seize will do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                    You may not have to replace the whole caliper just because the bleed screw sheared. Sometimes you can get it out. It even has a nice predrilled center hole.
                    Drilling out stripped bolts only works for me AFTER I have ordered a replacement part.

Comment

You should disassemble the caliper and clean it out

Rebuild as necessary based on the inspection
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Little anti seize on the bleeders wont hurt either.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So one of the two bleeders on the rear brake seems to have come pre-sheared for my convenience!

I think I will just order a rebuild kit from Z1 and some new speed bleeders to replace the old ones. Gonna try to drill out that bleeder before I hunt down a new rear brake assembly, since the rear calipers I see on eBay look like they will have dodgy bleeders of their own.

What makes a "speed bleeder" speedy BTW?

Comment

Also what size bleeders do I need? 7mm or 8mm? I know the hex portion is 8mm, but I don't know what the list size references (e.g., the thread size? head size?)

Comment

Or just fit one of these:

79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X