No announcement yet.

Stop me before I kill again . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked at those banjo bleeders, but others suggest that you still need to bleed out the calipers themselves.

Any clues on bleeder screw size? Z1 lists both under the 1978 GS750EC listings - a 7mm x 1.0 and an 8mm x 1.25. At $13 a pair and needing a total of 3 screws, not trying to buy $26 of wrong or extra screws.

Comment

It's the fine thread - 1mm.

Those banjo bolts with the bleeders bleed the caliper as well - of course they do. I've used them on 100s of bikes.

The only 'difficulty' is sometimes in bleeding calipers where the banjo bolt sits quite low on the caliper (and thus there is loads of air above it). Simples as they say. Undo one caliper mounting bolt and spin the caliper round so that the banjo is now at the highest point of the caliper and bleed away. On some multi piston types you do have to pull the caliper off the bike and bleed it with a block of wood sitting between the pads replacing the disc.

I couldn't afford to have a bike sat in the workshop for a few days while the penetrating fluid got to work. Did a 'snotty' SV650 front and rear yesterday - that bled easily.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So 7mm x 1.00 for bleeders. Where did you score those banjos? I recall a link somewhere but lost it.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
          Where did you score those banjos? I recall a link somewhere but lost it.
          I'm in the UK and can get them from loads of places - HEL, Goodrich etc al make them.

Here's one on Ebay (they do them in stainless as well).

79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

OK - I ordered a rebuild kit for the rear brake and some bleeder screws from Z1. A new front brake caliper is en route, as are some new left-handed drill bits to help extract those broken bleeders.

While I wait for these parts, can I go ahead and get started tearing down the old brakes, even though I cannot bleed them first? Recall that I have no functioning bleeder for the front brake, and that only one of the two rear bleeders is intact.

Since I am just going to tear everything down, is there any danger in pulling the brakes and breaking them down unbled? Can I even bleed the rear brake with only one functioning bleeder screw?

Comment

Carry on and pull them apart - you won't do any damage. Remember you will have brake fluid in the system and it'll destroy and paint it touches.

You can bleed the rear brake with only the one bleed screw. You just need to make sure that this screw is the highest point of the caliper which might mean you have to bleed the thing while it's off the bike. But of course you only need to bleed when you're putting them back on the bike after rebuilding.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Ugh. I assembled the front caliper with new pads and a new speed bleeder screw. Hooked up the new SS line and started the bleed in process.

The damn lines are leaking at the banjo ends! No doubt this comes from operator error in the line construction (i.e, I screwed them up). Not sure where I fumbled though.

Pulled them apart, but I don't think the olive/ferrule pieces survived the process well, as they are a bit dinged up. So, I ordered some new olives to try again.

Does anyone have any tips on how to pressure test the fittings before hooking them into the system for bleed in?

Comment

Working...
                X