GS 1000 Stock Rim / Max Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 Stock Rim / Max Tire Size

I have a stock GS 1000 (1979) with a stock rear wheel. It currently has a 120/90-17 rear wheel. I look really small. What is the biggest tire I can put on here? Look like there is a fair bit of clearance on either side (chain and swing arm). Thanks,

It would help us to know which model you have. The E model had larger tires for stock than the C.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

130 is the widest you should go with the stock cast wheel. The spoke type GS1000 wheels are 18", and you shouldn't use wider than 120 on those because the rim is narrower.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes the wire wheel rim is to small for a 130.

Some PO managed to squeeze one on the red wheel(it's the same size as the wire,1.85X18).Tried to get it off myself,Had to take it to my friends shop with a tire machine to get it off!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Willard13,

Old school bikes need old school tires. For a "fat" tire you would need to replace/modify the swing arm and install a wider rim. On these bikes, tires that are too wide are dangerous.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the help. The cast rim is a 17XMT2.50 DOT. I wasn't looking for a monster wheel, just a bit bigger than the 120. Sounds like a 130 is my widest option without added risk or modification?

One more thing. My lights died last night as I was riding home. I hit the high beams and everything went. highs / lows / turn signals - all gone. I assume this is a fuse. So that means something more evil is also happening. Ideas? thx

Comment

Originally posted by Willard13 View Post
              Thanks for the help. The cast rim is a 17XMT2.50 DOT. I wasn't looking for a monster wheel, just a bit bigger than the 120. Sounds like a 130 is my widest option without added risk or modification?

One more thing. My lights died last night as I was riding home. I hit the high beams and everything went. highs / lows / turn signals - all gone. I assume this is a fuse. So that means something more evil is also happening. Ideas? thx
              Check your battery voltage when running.If this over 15 volts you have to start checking electrics.Dead R/R being the likely culprit.

Comment

Working...
              X