wide rear tire ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wide rear tire ?

i want a wider rear tire on my 83 gs750e i know that a 130 is the widest you can put on the stock rim . so what rim do i need to put a 140 0r 150 on it with the least amount of mod's.

Have you done a search?

You're gonna have to find a 17 in. wheel that will bolt on with only spacers needed to center it, and position the brake caliper correctly on the rotor.

There are threads on this subject.

You'll need to put later model front forks, calipers, 17 in. wheel and rotor to match tires front and rear.

There are threads on this subject too.

Bill
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

A GS1150 rear wheel would be easiest I think. There are some threads on this mod for other model bikes but I'm not sure about your particular bike.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Can't help you with your wheel selection, but I am very happy to see that you realize you can't put your wider tires on the stock wheels.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm curious why you think you need a wider tire.The look?Stock swing arm limits tire size to.All 4 of my 750's(see sig thread) had tires marked 130.One was wide enough to need the rear brake arm notched and rubbed a groove in the chain guard.

Comment

I have a 130/70/17 on the new rim but there's a good 3/4 of a inch on each side of the tire it just looks tiny .and any ideas on a frnt sprocket size I would like to lower the rpms some for a long trip to north Dakota from Washington

Comment

If you use a 3.5" wide GS1150 rim, you can fit certain 150 tires on it without pinch, and without sacrificing cornering ability. I'm not sure what exactly needs done with your model, as I did it to an 83 1100 which has slightly different components (swingarm, brake stay, twin shock vs monoshock) but *I* had to make up some spacers to correct for the difference in hub width (which you'll likely have to do as well. Just remember, no matter what anyone says, all correction is done on the brake side to keep the sprockets aligned. Make sure you're using enough spacer. It should be a little tricky to get it all together, otherwise you'll run out of thread to properly tighten the axle nut and get the necessary pinch in the swingarm to squash everything together tight)
              You'll also likely need to either modify your brake stay arm to clear the tire, or find an aftermarket one that's been modified to leave clearance (check with the drag bike guys...they do this all the time). Other than that, just assure you're all lined up as needed and it's not much of a project.

As far as your gearing, adding a tooth to the front sprocket is like taking two (or is it three) off the rear. That would decrease your cruising RPM, but it could also make the bike rather punch-less down low as that model GS really likes to be spun up before it starts making power. I'd suggest subtracting a tooth (just one) from the rear before adding any to the front and see where you're at. Don't be afraid to spin that baby up and leave it there. They like revs.

Comment

One front tooth is about equal to three rear in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by obgrayone View Post
                  I have a 130/70/17 on the new rim but there's a good 3/4 of a inch on each side of the tire it just looks tiny .and any ideas on a frnt sprocket size I would like to lower the rpms some for a long trip to north Dakota from Washington
                  Try this site, you punch everything in and figure it out.
                  www.gearingcommander.com

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                    I'm curious why you think you need a wider tire.The look?
                    Originally posted by obgrayone View Post
                    I have a 130/70/17 on the new rim but there's a good 3/4 of a inch on each side of the tire it just looks tiny .
                    Don't worry about the "tiny" tires. Today's tires are MUCH better than what was available 'back in the day'.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

For my '82 750 the stock rim is 2.15" and spec is a 110 or 120 rear tire. I put a 130 on it and it just looked wimpy. I dont know what the rim width is for an 83 750.
                      I picked up a 3.5" 1150 rim and put on a 150/70/17, I just followed TCK's thread on it and it looks and performs great.

Comment

Working...
                      X