Pinch Bolt size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinch Bolt size

When I started to remove the original headlight ears, I considered pulling them from the top. Ultimately, I ditched that plan.

Along the way, however, I loosened the pinch bolts at the top of the forks. One of those bolt/nut assemblies is stripped pretty badly, so I need to replace it.

I went to the local parts store with the old bolt/nut in hand. The threads on both were too mangled to confirm the pitch, but they looked to be course - 1.50. The M10 bolt measured just a hair over 50mm, so I picked up a pair of M10 50mm 1.50 pitch bolts (the only 50mm M10, and the largest on the rack) and matching nuts.

The new bolt fits, but not very well. According to the part nos., the bolt should be 55mm. Obviously, I need to order/find a new bolt/nut. Absent placing a Part Shark order (which takes time, and will cost more in shipping than the damn parts), I'd like to pick up better fitting hardware somewhere locally.

From some dude's web site comes this added info:

Suzuki uses standard metric thread pitches up through 8mm:
    3mm x .5
    4mm x .7
    5mm X .8
    6mm X 1
    8mm X 1.25

When you get to 10mm fasteners, Suzuki usually uses fine pitch threads:
    10mm X 1.25
    12mm X 1.25

But when you get to fasteners this size, you don't really want to replace them with stainless anyway -- best to stick with the original fasteners. Stainless is strong, but brittle, and it's not a good idea to use it in heavily loaded suspension, frame, or brake components.
    So here are the questions:

1. Can I use a SS bolt/nut pair on the pinch bolt? If not, what should I get instead?

2. Is that 1.25 thread pitch correct? The heftier 1.50 pitch looked more appropriate, and closest to the old bolt. If the course pitch is the only one available, will that pose problems for me?

TIA

a SS bolt and nut will be fine as a pinch bolt, the thread size does not really matter as long as the bolt is long enough and the nut is the same thread size. personally i would opt for the bigger 1.5mm thread
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
    X