Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive Spring Install help

Hi Guys,
    I bought myself some progressive springs for my GS.
    I pulled apart the shocks today, and removed the seals (got some fresh seals to be installed)

Here are the bits of the springs...It seems there is a discrepancy to what I have vs the parts fische...
    I dont have a spacer. And my progressive springs booklet says "remove stock spacer when installing".

Can someone please help me in identifying the bits and pieces as there are a few things missing from the fische.
    Like always, I have no idea what the PO has done to these...Maybe they are complete...but I have a feeling they are not :O

Thanks guys

Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 10:37 PM.

Looks like the PO has replaced the stock spring with one which did not require the spacer and washer - much like the progressive spring you are installing.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Hmm. U know. when I was looking at the spring, and looking at my progressive, I was thinking "these look very similar".

Do you think I already have progressive's ? lol..

Comment

Possibly. Hopefully someone else around here will chime in shortly.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

On the progressives, the spring is higher than stock. You can go to the progressive web page or Bass Cliffs web page http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ for help, and get install instructions. Normally the stock spacer is to tall with the new spring, so you have either cut it to get the right height or what most people do, me included is use 3/4 pvc water pipe and cut it to fit for the correct height. The install instructions will show you the correct height and should tell you about the pvc pipe to cut. It is easy, but the important thing is to get the spring height correct inside the tube. Good luck.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 10:09 AM. Reason: added words.

Comment

Thanks mforbes.
            The spring does not pertrude above the fork. When the spring is in, its below the top of the fork...hmm

Comment

Then you are probably good with just the springs. I had to add about an 1.5 inch of pipe to get it to the top of the tube.

Comment

Progressive springs usually come with documentation listing of GS models and whether a spacer is needed or not. If you didn't get this listing I have one at home will have a look for you later. The spring should protrude a little.
                -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Looks like you may already have other springs in there, and yes I notice there is no spacer I can't see what that little alumnium piece is at the top. under the cap, maybe a shortened spacer of sorts.

Here is mine last week off my 1000G, I don't konw if the forks are the same, I would imagine so.
                  Notice your springs are tightly wound on both ends, and loosely wound in the middle, my stock Suzuki springs are loosely wound at the bottom then tightly wound from half way up.
                  You can see the spacer, and my cap looks shorter.

Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM.

Comment

You have a different top cap with adjustable preload from a different model of GS or bike I would say... What dia are those forks? 41mm? If so that's a GSXR top cap. If 37mm I think there is one GS only that has that type of top cap but it could be from anything as long as the thread & dia is right...

The bit below the top cap looks like the bottom of the old top cap that has been cut off to:

a. Provide an air/oil seal O ring (looks like your new top cap has no O ring on it)
                    b. Act as a short spacer

It's quite difficult to tell what brand of springs those are but to work out if they are the same as you progressive you need to compare:

1. Free length (with no weight on the spring)
                    2. Number of coils
                    3. Diameter of the material.

If they all match I would say you already have progressives....

If the free length is the same but less coils you have something stronger than progressives. If same length but more coils less then something less stiff than the progressives. The diameter of the material is obvious - thicker = stiffer.

Hope that helps
                    Last edited by salty_monk; 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

FWIW, I am also changing out my springs for progressive springs.
                      My springs had no spacers in there. and were a tiny bit longer than the new progressives.
                      Below is a picture of the old and the new progressives, the other end is lined up evenly.
                      The new ones have the spacer next to them.

I have to tell you I'm tempted to try just putting the spacers in with the old springs and seeing how that changes the ride. I feel like it won't be sufficient so I'm just going to put the new springs in.
                      Also, the originals were also of a progressive style

Comment

Wow. Thanks Salty and flyboy. That is alot of detial.
                        The bit below the top cap, looks like some sort of spacer with a rubber seal around it.
                        It doesn't look like its been cut, its aluminium, very light...
                        IF it was cut, it was done with a laser or something as its precise.

You're right, the top cap does look a bit diff to the other pics I've seen.
                        I'm thinking that the piece below the cap is number 15 on my diagram....no one else has this piece in their forks....hmm what a mystery.

I've put a link to the same picture, except its about 100 times the size so you can look at the detail. I'll try and get some closeups tonight so I can work out how these things go together.
                        I've assumed, that the PO has done everything wrong, based on the stupid things I've seen on this bike when pulling apart...

> BIG IMAGE LINK HERE <

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                          Progressive springs usually come with documentation listing of GS models and whether a spacer is needed or not. If you didn't get this listing I have one at home will have a look for you later. The spring should protrude a little.

I replaced the springs yesterday on my 79 gs850. I followed the directions in the progressive box that instructed me to use a 1.75" length spacer in each tube. I noticed though that even with the spacer installed, they stop about 0.5 shy of the top of the tube. Was curious about this since I figured it should at least reach the top, perhaps a bit above.

Anyone else experience this, or even if not have advice? Should I ignore the instructions and put a larger spacer in so it sticks up a half or full inch past the top (2.5" to 3" spacer)?

Comment

Dan's right - those tops are for adjustable pre-load. That little spacer with the O ring is meant to be there - the shaft from the adjuster slots in, otherwise it would just move down the spring and wouldn't push on anything. Those tops should have a rubber dome cap, a bit like a sewing thimble for a big thumb.

That type of fork top / adjuster was used on several bikes across the range over here on the 82 models but I think (I might be wrong) was only on bikes with anti-dive so I suspect somebody has stuck new innards in there at some point.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

You'll want to measure your "sag" to get the right spacer length. See the guide on my little website for my installation experience.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X