I am looking to upgrade rear shocks/springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking to upgrade rear shocks/springs

So far these are the ones I am looking at, in the heavy duty ones. I do notice that it says the extra heavy are not recommended for my bike specifically though. I dont like feeling like I bottom out whenever I sit on the bike that these current springs have[the PO also warned me about the soft springs].

I am also undecided on which to ultimately go for in terms of the 12 series (I think I was looking at the 13.5" ones) or the 14 series shocks.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Check out the Hagons too. They seem to be real nice shocks and came to me at a great price (208).
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Agreed on the Hagons -- they're in the same cost ballpark as 12 series shocks and springs, and they also work quite nicely. Worth checking out.

The only difference between Progressive's 12 and 14 series is that the 12 series shocks are sold bare, without springs. You buy the springs separately, and then you have to assemble the springs with the shocks.

14 series shocks come already assembled with springs and some have fancy chrome end covers added, but the shocks are exactly the same as the 12 series.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Checked out the website and after getting over the initial confusion of the currency, I like these ones. I like that they come pre-built and with the spanner to adjust the preload and has a 10 point damper adjustment. The price of $310 hits hard though. Which ones did you get (these?)? Also are they stiffer/harder than the stock shocks/springs?
        Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I have the 12 series Progressive shocks with 120/170 springs (extra-extra heavy springs because I'm a lardass who rides really fast...)

I know several people who also have the basic Hagons (no damping adjustment, preload adjuster only) who have also been very happy.

I don't know about their adjustable damping shocks, although in general Hagon has an excellent reputation. I think you get a much better warranty with Hagons as well.

Here's the US distributor for Hagon shocks -- you can call Dave and get a recommendation:
          This website is for sale! davequinnmotorcycles.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, davequinnmotorcycles.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

If you're willing to spend around three bills, the hot stuff might be Ikon shocks -- I hear they're a big step up from the basic Hagons and Progressives:
          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

do you know if the Hagons have different spring rates? I think I would prefer to have stiffer than standard springs. I cant find the option on their sites. only for the shock bodies.
            The Koni shocks look nice, but would they fit my GS? I see it says the longer 2 fit the 650GT. Is this just another way of writing the G series throughout the years?
            one more; are the chrome caps needed? they seem to be out of stock... lol

Comment

You'll have to call and talk to Dave to be sure.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
              X