Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

650 fork lowers same as 750? dual ok? i have both but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650 fork lowers same as 750? dual ok? i have both but.....

hmm. i just did a search and bamboozled myself silly..and figured i better ask someone that's been here and possibly already TRIED it haha.
    I have a 82 GS650L.. it is single front disc, and the rotor is warped slightly. well it really bothers me hahaha. and I just think dual is .well KOOL and prolly better stoppers.
    I just today happened upon a tired, rusted, barnbiketom of a 79 GS750 PARTS BIKE with dual disks but the forks are very badly rusted. the fork upper tubes on the 650 are minty fresh. I know they are both 35mm, i measured 'em!

so.... will the lowers interchange? they look good but I don't wanna tear em apart to find they are internally different or won't work for somereason. If the y do, then I'll pull tem off, either polish or better yet powder coat em BLACK MAYBE>> then use the dual disc front wheel (they look the same.MAGS ) and the hose connector splitter etc etc etc. no problems with the calpers etc i can rebuild them too they will need it!!
    sorry for so long but long story short. will the parts interchange so i can use my upper tubes with the lower legs from the 750????

Hi,

Did you compare part numbers?

CLICK HERE to download a PDF guide for the Alpha-Sports site cross-reference.
    (Note: If
    the newer part numbers return no results, use the older, superseded numbers.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

WOW thanks that is a great way to check part#s. in looking, the leg is different the damper is different, the fork seal different, etc etc etc. BUT I may just have to take them part anyway.. it may be something thatwill work.however it is supposed to be only that year.. but I wonder if it is merely a cosmetic issue or something else that will prevent it from working.. maybe someone else will have tried it and let me know it won't work

thank you cliff.. much appreciated!!
      Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

The tube diameter is the critical issue

The fork seal should note what the diameter is 35 or 37mm
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have a pair of '79 750L lowers that are indeed different from my '80 850L lowers, but not so different that they couldn't be used. The left side didn't have the bolt hole boss for the speedometer cable, so I had to use a zip tie to hold it in place. Other than that, everyhing else worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
          X