Dual disks on wire wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual disks on wire wheels

I bought some wire wheels off of Tkent a few months ago and finally got around to buying rubber for them last week. The bike they are going on is a GS1000, which comes with dual disks up front. The hubs on the wire wheel were pre-drilled and and I *think* tapped from the factory. I say I think because Im not 100% sure.

The wheels needed a good cleaning and polishing when I got them, but they would have gotten that anyway. The bolt holes on the hubs weren't in the cleanest shape so I chased them with a tap to clean out the gunk. The LS was easier to chase than the RS was. On the right side, I would get 3-4.5 threads in and then hit some resistance. A little more force got past the issue and it continued to thread down to the bottom. This issues repeated itself on every hole on the right side of the hub.

I put the rotors on the leftside using new OEM hardware and washers and everything went fine. On the left side however, I ran into a snag:

Using new OEM hardware and washers too, the bolts bottom out before the head makes contact with the washer. The holes appear to be 2 threads too short for the bolts.

So, Do I cut the bolts down? Drill the holes further and re-tap? Or, what?

I have also been pondering replacing the factory bolts with studs and using chrome acorns to cap everything off but that is down the road.

Because we are talking about brakes, I dont want to just wing it and learn the hard way.

No one has any ideas?

Comment

I would not be drilling and tapping to accommodate the OEM hardware.
      I cannot remember the sizes i used but i just went to the hardware store and bought the next size shorter. And use Locktite.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Update: Drilling the hub isnt that big of a deal as thats how the factory did it so I drilled out the remaining material and chased the existing threads to cut the new ones at the bottom.

Comment

Maybe you just needed to use a bottoming tap to thread the entire depth of the screw hole bore....you can make your own by bench grinding off the long lead-flutes of the standard starting tap.

Comment

I've read about needing to drill the holes a little deeper on the right side before...
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X