Fork rechroming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork rechroming

I know there's a thread in the old technical section regarding this that dates back to 2008 so as it's three years later, I thought I'd start a new one here.

Long story short - the fork tubes on my 1100E are pretty badly pitted and, at $249 plus shipping ($60 - $80 depending on standard or express) from Z1 for a new set of tubes, not to mention however much import duty gets added to the pile; I was ever so delighted when I typed "fork rechroming" into Google and the link at the top of the page led me to http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/index.php

I spent a while reading through every stage, finding out just what they do to the forks, then I rang to get a quote. I told the guy (Martin) what I had and that I'd be stripping them myself, sending just the tubes from Ireland. He said I'd have to cover postage of them TO him (I think they collect them in the UK) and that it'd cost £156 done and delivered back to my door!!!

My jaw nearly hit the ground...

When time comes to sort the forks out, that's where I'll be sending them.

Thought some of the UK members here might appreciate the info.

Great info!
    IMO this is far superior than buying new fork tubes (unless they are bent of course...)
    When I bought a pair for my GS 1000 S they didn't have the low friction bushings at the bottom that come with the OEM tubes...
    This is most probably the cause of the ill handling of the bike due to too much stiction in the forks.
    Many thanks for the tip!
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Just be a bit wary - I've heard that Philpotts haven't been so hot recently on the sizing (not regrinding to fit) = the things stick. I haven't used them for some years now so can't comment from personal experience.

These guys sent me a trade invite a few months ago and were quoting competitively. I haven't used them yet so can't comment.

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Shouldn't any local hydraulic shop be able to do this for you?

Comment

Thanks HH, I'll give them a bell in the am.

Comment

I Don't remember where I picked this up, might possibly be of some help. http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              I Don't remember where I picked this up, might possibly be of some help. http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

I ordered a set of fork from Franks Forking like 5 years or so ago..and I must say, I wasnt that impressed. I was rebuilding the V65 and one of the front forks had a bit of bend in it..so ordered a set from him. I noticed that there was none or very crappy chrome on them..called, the lady said they would be fine. They are such a pain to keep clean and the area I can get to to clean and wax all the time is badly pitted...just this year I noticed a small leak of fluid around the seal on the left one..yup..a small pit right at the seal line. I would not recommend unless you buy them and then send them out for hard chroming before you install em. My 30 year old chrome on my GS650 forks still looks great! and I have maybe cleaned em like twice..lol

Comment

Chroming,in the US at least, has changed over the past few years

EPA regs put most chrome shops out of business, those that are left don't use the hard chrome typical of when the bike was made.

I know there's one shop in TN (?) that still does the hard chrome, I saw a feature on them in the Powerblock
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                X