37mm forks on my gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

37mm forks on my gs750

So I was wanting to put straight forks on my 750 instead of leading axle forks. found some 750 forks and went to put them on thinking I had 35mm forks on it. But turns out the previous owner has swapped on 37mm forks from a gs1100. Is there a model with straight axle I can look for 37mm forks that I can still use the calipers I have on now with the leading axle? Or I might try to swap the 35mm ones back on but I think I might need to get a larger bearing for the bottom of the stem if the PO had anything machined to do the swap.

How do you know they're from an 1100? 83 on 750/700 had 37mm forks as well. Got a pic of em?

Comment

I'll take a pic tomorrow in the daylight. As well as a pic of the 35mm forks I have. And see if both sets can be identified for me. This is the best I have on file of the forks.

Thanks.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Yeah those are later (third gen) 750 forks. Good forks. As good as they got on GSes anyway.
        But you're gonna want to be careful using a different geometry with your current bikes set up. Those struts with longer/higher forks are gonna make the bike feel incredibly screwy....

Comment

The bike is getting a different stance which is why im trying to figure things out. This winter I am going to do a mono shock and lift the back end up. More sporty and fun. I have a swingarm that I got thanks to jetta90 for an 83 750E. If these forks will work for something like that then I will just rebuild them new seals and progressive springs. So these forks on the bike are from like an 83/84 750? just good to know for ordering parts for them.

Also geometry wise...what is ideal for handling. I dont want to put the back up too high im sure there is a limit. The bike was already chopped up when I got it, but I do have an 1100 frame uncut I could use maybe for geometry measurements with the factory swingarm?

Thanks for the info
          Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2011, 12:53 AM.

Comment

The reason I was thinking of changing from leading axle forks to straight is for a touch shorter wheel base. Is that a good idea or will it make much difference?

edit, Ive been doing a lot of reading on rake and trail. I think I may just stick with the forks that are on it and see how it does with the back end up with suspension again.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Ok the pictures are in for fork Identification.

37mm forks Currently on the bike which is an 81 gs750.

And the other set I purchased assuming my current ones were 35mm which these are.

A sketch of my intentions for the bike this winter...Which forks would be better?

Comment

Working...
              X