Weather rotted tubed tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather rotted tubed tires

A week ago I bought a 1981 GS450T. The front tire has some weather rotting, but it isn't too bad. The seller said "Because they are tubed tires, you won't have to worry about it right away". Is this correct? TIA.

No. Change your tires ASAP since you still need the tread if you want to be assured of somewhat safe driving.

Course, if it was your car what would you do?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Oh, they might hold air just fine, but what about the quality of the rubber that is supposed to be providing the traction to keep you UPRIGHT?

Check the date code. If the tires are more than three years old, you should seriously consider changing them.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ever have a blow-out on a motorcycle? I have, 70 mph on rear wheel with passenger on back, scariest moment in my life, for real.

Not only are your tires important, your tubes are as well, and that's what failed on my bike, a '72 Honda CB450 at the time, a full 18 inches of gaping hole running down the length of my tube. In this case my tire was fine.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Oh, they might hold air just fine, but what about the quality of the rubber that is supposed to be providing the traction to keep you UPRIGHT?

Check the date code. If the tires are more than three years old, you should seriously consider changing them.

A three year old tire wouldn't concern me, but I'd change it if were more than say 7 years old. Guess it depends on how soft it felt too, depends on storage conditions.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,

Since you have only two of them, a tire failure on a bike can be much more catastrophic. Riding on bad tires is asking for trouble. Tires get scary for me when they are over 5 years old.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

There is no magic age for changing out tires.

if it is weather rotted, it should have been changed earlier.

One of the functions of rubber in a tire is to protect the tire cord. Ozone and sunlight can severely weaken tire cord. It enough cords break, you're going down, very quickly even though you have a tube. If rubber is hard, or cracked, replace the tire.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Change the tires, tubes, and rim strips if you have them. The first time you ride it, you'll be glad you did it. Modern tires completely change the bike. (to the good) Plus, you'll have the piece of mind of knowing you're safe.

Comment

Working...
                X