1981 GS750E Master Cylinder Disassembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750E Master Cylinder Disassembly

I am restoring a 1981 GS750E. Working on the front master cylinder at the moment. It's full of sludge. My Chilton's manual doesn't show a diagram or talk about my model master cylinder.

My question is, is the reservoir separate from the body? Can I pull them apart? I have removed the 4 screws that hold the cap on. Are they all that holds the reservoir on the body? I don't see any other screws.

I don't want to pull too hard and break it!

Also, does anybody have any tips for removing the dust cover?

Thanks!

Try this manual http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...50_16valve.pdf from BassCliffs site.Takes a bit to get them off,can get new ones if you do,I think.

Comment

In the upper bar of the interface is a search function.
      Drop down and select advanced. Do a search on your keywords and search in titles only.

I did and found a pictorial. It is for an 1100 but the principles are the same.

Comment

Thanks! Really appreciate it. I'll pull it apart tomorrow. Hopefully all I will need is a new o-ring and piston and cup set!

Comment

Hey, too weird, I pulled the front brakes on my 80 GS750E last night. I am bout to put up some pics in a new thread in this forum. The reservoir is press fit onto the master body. I used a gasket scraper and judicious use of force to slowly pry the reservoir off by working all around the perimeter of the reservoir. There is an o-ring under the reservoir you will need to get as well, you can see it as a black line in the second picture of my thread, just under the rim of the master body. I have the piston/cup/spring out and the reservoir in carb dip overnight to get it clean right now.

Oh, and welcome by the way! not sure where Coopersburg is. Look up Apopleptic, and Pete, to see lots of great stuff on restoring/repairing these great bikes. Also, Apopleptic started up a PA riders group if you are interested, for when we all have our bikes back together I guess. Look under the Community tab to find the group.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks Cdnpt1,

Coopersburg is near Allentown ("Well I'm living here in Allentown" - Billy Joel). Once I realized the O-ring was circular, I figured I could twist the reservoir off, which is just what I did!

Got my rebuild parts from Blackman's so I'm good to go!

Comment

Working...
            X