GS1000 forks on GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 forks on GS750

I searched, and I know they are 37mm vs. 35mm. Either I bore out the triples that I have, or I get early gs1000 triples and a different lower bearing, but then the steering stop is wrong. My question is this. My factory forks are pitted beyond what I would call reasonable repair, but the bike is unfortunately outside as I don't have anywhere else to keep it. GS1000 forks are, for whatever reason, a lot more common and a fair amount cheaper than the GS750 ones; is there any performance associated with doing the swap? Either way they'd be getting cleaned out, new oil and seals, and Sonic springs. The bike will be needing new head bearings soon anyway. Which route should I take?

Yes... Extra dia equals less flex. I have a very good set of 1100 triples if that has the right stops and a useable set of forks from a 1000 (in need of a rebuild...)
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

just as a general rule, any time I buy forks they get new oil and seals. As long as the sliders are fine and there is no rust or pitting on the travel surfaces of the uppers, I'm interested. What are you looking for them? They'd be shipped to Indiana.

I'm not sure if 1100 triples are right or not; I can't seem to find any information on them. I'm trying to avoid having to go with custom bearings and such if I can help it, and it is absolutely imperative that the fork lock works just because I'm on a college campus... that said, if it wouldn't be too much of an investment on my end, I'm interested in the triples.

Comment

Another thing to consider is the length. I think the 1000 is longer maybe an inch ??

Comment

hmm, for some reason I was under the impression that it was lower by an inch. Salty monk, any chance you could post the length, say from the bottom of the axle retainer cap to the seam between the fork cap and the tube?

Comment

Working...
          X