Asking for tire recommendation for '82 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for tire recommendation for '82 750

This Winter I plan on replacing tires on my '82 750T. The tires on it now are what it had when I bought it. Those tires are 100/90 front and 130/90 rear. The rear is wider then the original by at least one metric size and the front is also wider but I'm uncertain if there is any tire available that can come closer to the original 3.5" size and still fit the rim.

I would like to improve the "heavy" handling my GS has now. (Part of the reason for the heavy-slow steering response is due to the lower, narrower bars I've installed.) I think that narrower tires with a round profile should help to gain back quicker steer response with less input on the bars

So, if someone has found a particularly nice combination of tires for a GS that's similar to mine, I would appreciate hearing what your choice in tires was.
    Thank you

If you want more "flickable" feeling, stick with the sizes you have but go with Avon AM26 RoadRiders or Perelli Sport Demons. Both have a much "pointier" footprint and will speed steering feel considerably. I remember the first set I used nearly had me running off the inside of corners it turned in so much lighter...

Comment

GS750T Tires

I've been running "IRC Durotour RS-310 Bias Sport Touring Street Tires" 120/90-17 Rear and 100/90-19 front. I like 'em.

I've gotten over 10k mile on the front (it needs to be replaced) and you should get close to 6k on the rear.

120/90-17's are hard to find and the IRC have gone up in price about 25% in the last year or so.
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Tires

I've read and had this experience myself, I used to run bigger tires on my 750 and it handled like a brick. I went back to the stock sizes and lordy did the handling improve. So, in my opinion, stay as close as to the stock size as you can, though remember different brands/compounds have different handling properties.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
        X