More fork/swinger questions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More fork/swinger questions ...

I have read about lots of fork/swing swaps.

1200 bandit forks/trees any good??

Is the GS1000 stock swinger longer than the 550???

Couldnt find answers, looked in specs, etc.

Thx,

Jason

I'm not sure on the bandit fork. Obviously the forks are going to be larger I'm diameter but I don't know if they're a cartridge type fork and what sort of damping adjustment they have built into them. Larger diameter doesnt always equate to a better fork by itself, as the walls of some larger forks are many times thinner than those on a GS. Meaning, they may not be any stiffer or stronger. The bonus to using certain modern forks is the adjustability in the damping, (both rebound and compression) and preload rates. Modern forks generally have more adjustability which allows a rider to tune the suspension more finely. Obviously the bandit fork means you can use a wider wheel and modern brakes which are a bonus.

As to the swingarm, yea, a 1000 arm is a bit longer than the 550. But if youre going to swap swingarms, swapping to a GS1000 swinger isn't much of a change other than length. What you'd probably want it a stock GS1100 swinger. It's an aluminum boxed arm vs the tube steel of the 550 and 1000.
    With a longer arm, if you want to retain stock or near stock ride height you'll need longer shocks, as the shock mount locations will be farther back on the arm.
    Also, if you go with either the 1000 or 1100 arm, you'll either need to have special top hat spacers/bushes made for the internal swingarm pivot bearings or you'll have to drill your pivot frame bosses out to accept the larger pivot bolt as the diameter of the 550 pivot is smaller than that of the 1100 or 1000.

Comment

Don't forget the passenger peg mounts. Usually have to bend them outward to clear the additional width. That or just chop them off.
      1978 GS550 E
      673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
      New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
      for playing in the dirt

Comment

ok ...I might bite the bullet on the forks, its a good deal I think and yes will get the lighter/modern components. Will allow 110/70/17 up front ...

On the swingarm ... figured on the bearing sizes, thats no issue. Interested in the length ... also looked at the bandit 600 swinger ... its steel, so I can work with it. (not welding aluminum at this point)

AND a bandit 600 rear wheel is the plan at the moment. 160/17 (150/17 bias is factory, but 160 is common upgrade) is factory size, hate to go larger on the 550.

The bandit parts are plentiful and cheap, as compared to the gsxr parts. Dont need all out adjustability, but some adjust would be nice ...

My 550 stock suspension parts are shot ... so in lieu of replacing, the upgrade idea is on the brain.

CafeKid .. plan is to move upper shock mounts forward and up on the frame ... and/or wherever needed for mounts on the swingarm if I do the 600 bandit swinger....

Also found the 650 topend onto the 550 case post ..... good stuff right there!

Comment

Well just keep your geometry in mind when making changes.
          You have a fixed angle to deal with, and that is the steering neck angle. Raising the rear end too much will make the steering twitchy, and can cause massive headshake coming out of an apex on the throttle, and it can also cause the bike to run wide out of corners. I've played a little with changing the over-all geometry (as have others) with longer shocks and or dropping the clamps down a bit on the tubes. Realistically, an inch or so maybe 1.5 is about where you're still pretty stable at speed, and quickens the steering quite a bit. I was afraid any more than that might make her a wild weasel, so just be careful. Good luck! Sounds like a fun project.

Comment

Bandit triples have a longer stem than the GS, GSX or GSXR forks, so you'd have to get it machined down to fit

I have a set in the garage, really wanted the top handlebar clamp, but no go
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Bandit triples have a longer stem than the GS, GSX or GSXR forks, so you'd have to get it machined down to fit

I have a set in the garage, really wanted the top handlebar clamp, but no go
              Hmm .. the cost of machining may just rule these out .. maybe. Bummer, thanks for the info though!! I may still get them, and have it done. We'll see .. Sounds like nobody else has done it, and 3-5 hun for gsxr forks is a bit much at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Well just keep your geometry in mind when making changes.
                You have a fixed angle to deal with, and that is the steering neck angle. Raising the rear end too much will make the steering twitchy, and can cause massive headshake coming out of an apex on the throttle, and it can also cause the bike to run wide out of corners. I've played a little with changing the over-all geometry (as have others) with longer shocks and or dropping the clamps down a bit on the tubes. Realistically, an inch or so maybe 1.5 is about where you're still pretty stable at speed, and quickens the steering quite a bit. I was afraid any more than that might make her a wild weasel, so just be careful. Good luck! Sounds like a fun project.
                I dont want a stinkbug, butt high and slammed front ... like to have backend up a touch ... guess I will put it togethor and see what-it-be-like. Of course with the news on the stem, might go another route... dunno yet.

Comment

Im in it now ... got the bandit forks on the way .. BBbbrrrrrrrtt!

Comment

My 550 is running sweet ... and honestly, think just fresh oil in forks with progressive springs, maybe some decent rear shocks and she's a rider. Its not "cafe", and its not stock looking. Kinda just a retro old bike. The burnt orange with chrome fender and black forks and boots has grown on me ... need to keep my finances in the right direction of travel here ....

Going to get back to my initial bike that lead me here ... GS 1000 build.

Found a frame, got forks coming, and wondering if the ZRX swinger goes right in the GS frame (78)??

Comment

Bandit 12 forks are just fine. They are cartridge forks, but lack any adjustment. If you don't want to bother with maching your GS stem to fit the Bandit triples, just get a set of older GSXR triples (I used a set from an 89 GSXR750, which are 43mm, as are the B12 forks.) They bolt directly to the GS without mods.

You can also go woth cartridge emulators from Racetech...

If you want to run handle bars as oppossed to clip ons, you'll need to mod the top triple, or spend $$ on a top clamp from a place like Speigler. I decided to buy the Speigler top clamp. Came with very nice thicker handlebars, too.

I did all this to my 82 1100EZ. I have yet to complete the project, but the bike is running, and running well
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                        Bandit 12 forks are just fine. They are cartridge forks, but lack any adjustment. If you don't want to bother with maching your GS stem to fit the Bandit triples, just get a set of older GSXR triples (I used a set from an 89 GSXR750, which are 43mm, as are the B12 forks.) They bolt directly to the GS without mods.

You can also go woth cartridge emulators from Racetech...

If you want to run handle bars as oppossed to clip ons, you'll need to mod the top triple, or spend $$ on a top clamp from a place like Speigler. I decided to buy the Speigler top clamp. Came with very nice thicker handlebars, too.

I did all this to my 82 1100EZ. I have yet to complete the project, but the bike is running, and running well
                        Great info .. thanks! I got the whole frontend off the bandit .. minus wheel. Will be here tomorrow So I am super curious to see how much mod'ing the bandit triple's will need. Nice to know I can go the gsxr route with no mods.

Comment

Working...
                        X