Front brake line configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake line configuration

I will be shopping for new brake lines for my GS650G this winter. I am curious about how people route their new lines.
    1981 GS550T (Long gone)
    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

I routed mine the same as stock, using the stock splitter.

Comment

Jim,

Are you going to stick with the stock bars? Or go to a wider one?
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        I routed mine the same as stock, using the stock splitter.
        Me too.

Some members have eliminated the splitter and used one line down to the right side with a double banjo bolt to feed a short line to the other side.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Or two complete lines from the master cylinder to the two calipers.
          Simplicity is good.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I went with stainless steel lines but kept the splitter, so I ended up having to buy 3 hoses. When I do the Kawasaki brake upgrade, I might go with only 2 lines all the way from the master.

I don't think there's any difference in performance, but IDK for sure

Comment

Each caliper still takes the same volume to push the pads into the rotors, so the performance will be the same. It just looks a little odd to have 2 long lines running off the master cylinder to the front wheel. When I purchased my Galfer lines the price was the same for 2 long lines as it was for 3 shorter lines, so I went with the stock-appearing configuration.

Comment

Yeah I kept the stock splitter too.
                It was just easier that way...just measure your stock lines As-Is...then order stainless in approx the same length.

Plus it looks cool seeing the 3 chrome banjos around the T-connector.
                I dunno, I just prefer that look.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                  Jim,

Are you going to stick with the stock bars? Or go to a wider one?
                  I haven't thought that far ahead yet. If I do anything with the bars, it will probably be Daytonas, which are a bit flatter than the stock bars. Maybe that is a good argument for keeping the splitter, so I can change just the top hose later if I change the bars.

Jim
                  1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                  1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

I have done it all 3 ways.. None of them appear to make any performance difference.

The cheapest way is one long line down with a double banjo at the caliper & a short loop over the fender to the other caliper.

2 lines direct from master cyinder makes a mess at the bar & you'll struggle to fit a rubber hood over the banjo/two lines as it sticks out so far.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                    X