Caliper fitting ??.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliper fitting ??.

I have a 82 850G and I just bought a complete front end from a 1980 750L ( thats what the guy I bought it from THINKS it's off of).I needed the leading axle forks to reduce the trail for sidecar use.I measured the tubes and they are the same BUT the mounting holes for the calipers seem to be different, about 2mm wider on the 750 forks,does this sound right??.also does the 750 calipers take the same pads as the 850's ??,I just bought some EBC pads for the 850's .

Hi,

For brake pads, both bikes use EBC FA51 in front and FA36 in the rear. However, the '82 GS850G has 37mm forks and the '80 GS750L has 35mm forks. Perhaps you don't really have an '80 GS750L front end?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

That's right - calipers that fit on a leading axle front end won't fit on bikes that don't have a leading axle. If you think about it the disc is effectively offset in comparison and the caliper has to be different to accomodate this. Also it sounds like you have GS1000L or GSX1100 forks.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I talked to my son today and he was with me last night when I picked up the forks.He says the guy I bought them from said they were ON a 750 dragbike BUT they are off of a GS1000.Here is a pic or 2 of them,how do I get the collar off that has the air fittings in them??.Do the 1000 calipers take the same pads as my 850??.

Comment

Those are '[80-'81 GS/GSX1100E forks.
          G
          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Ok so I know what they are..

What about pads ??,are they the same as my 82 850's pads??

Comment

Originally posted by Hacked850 View Post
              Ok so I know what they are..

What about pads ??,are they the same as my 82 850's pads??
              Probably but you'll have to put up a piccie of the calipers to be sure.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Assuming the calipers themselves are the same (and I think they will be), the caliper mounting brackets are the only difference in the brakes between regular and leading-axle forks.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I will get the calipers on Saturday,I will be rebuilding the forks before they go on.

Comment

YUP,calipers are the same but the mounting brackets are different.So my new EBC pads will fit..

Comment

Working...
                    X