Aftermarket swingarm ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool. Let me know what you decide.
    Luckily, I already have a set of PM Chicane 17" that are going on my '82 Katana.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Comment

Okay, I got the arm today and a bunch of other stuff in my parts lot. I'm keeping all the GSXR stuff, but there are a few GS700/750ES parts in there. What I found so far is that the CalFab arm is 9 inches at the axle and judging from the other stuff, its for a 750ES. I'm going to list some stuff in the classifieds soon - the PM wheels, along with the CalFab arm, a Fox shock, a headlight cowl and tail light cowl. If interested before I list them let me know and shoot me an offer, otherwise look for it probably after Thanksgiving.
      Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Is that 9" with the dust caps on?
        What is the length from pivot to axle?
        Distance from pivot to lower shock mount?
        Pivot to upper mount on the top of the arm?
        Widths of upper & lower mounts?
        Distance from upper to lower?
        Inside width at axle?
        Sorry for so many questions.
        Greg B.
        Last edited by Greg B; 11-22-2011, 01:31 AM.
        The Three Horsemen
        '83 GS1100ES
        ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

No, I measured it at the swingarm portion of the axle carrier clamp, not on the eccentric itself since it appears they can move side to side slightly.

Here is a link to my Photobucket album with photos of the arm, linkage, and Fox shock in it. It shows how I took the measurements, and I added a few at your request. Let me know if I took the measurements you were looking for correctly and if you need any more info on it.

A note about the Photobucket ID "Notasucka3"... I have this stupid name because a kid in Detroit used my hotmail address to sign up for a Photobucket account. I don't know why, but when i tried to sign up myself, it said my email was already in use, so I requested the password, got in, and found a bunch of teenager photos in some Detroit high school. I then deleted them, and kept the ID because I didn't have a choice in the matter. So, rest assured, I am a reputable 40 something adult - most of the time, but like the rest of us, I do enjoy a good time occasionally.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

And a small preview...

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
            Is that 9" with the dust caps on?
            What is the length from pivot to axle?
            Distance from pivot to lower shock mount?
            Pivot to upper mount on the top of the arm?
            Widths of upper & lower mounts?
            Distance from upper to lower?
            Inside width at axle?
            Sorry for so many questions.
            Greg B.
            Haha, you posted, I read, performed the task, and at somepoint you edited and included more questions. Drat. Gotta go back out again...

Comment

Here's a few photos of the linkage for reference. Looks like a GS750E linkage to me. Also, shock measures at 13" eye to eye and was attached to the linkage. Spacers are all there. I looked in the factory manual that was included in the parts lot, and it looks just like the one in the manual - with a different swingarm of course. I know you are hopeful that this is for an 1150, but I'm pretty convinced its a 750 part.

Comment

Is that 9" with the dust caps on? No
                What is the length from pivot to axle? 21-5/8
                Distance from pivot to lower shock mount? 9-1/4
                Pivot to upper mount on the top of the arm? 7-1/4
                Widths of upper & lower mounts? Upper= 4, lower= 1-1/4
                Distance from upper to lower? 8-1/2
                Inside width at axle? 9

All measurements are in inches taken with a tape measure.

Comment

Sweet arm, and I gotta say, eccentric adjusters are the cats ass. I'd never messed with them until I bought my ZRX, they make life soooooo much easier. All swingarms should have em

Comment

"IF" it is meant for a stock wheel then the axle diameter will give it away... the 1150 had a bigger axle (same size as the 1000 at about 21mm I think) where as the 750 had a 17.5mm one if I remember correctly.

I know that when I fitted a GS750ES wheel to my Skunk I needed to go up on bearing & inner spacer size. Still have the old ones if I need to measure....

I compared an 1150 arm to a 750 arm. They are different enough that there is not a great chance of being able to interchange them even though they look the same at first glance.

Length of the 1150 & the 750ES arm is the same. I have been told that the 700 arm is slightly longer.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You're probably right. I'll have to get some measurements from my 1150 arms. Got three to get an average from. Right now it looks really close.
                      I'm hoping it might just work. Maybe with a little modification......
                      The Three Horsemen
                      '83 GS1100ES
                      ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

PM sent.......
                        The Three Horsemen
                        '83 GS1100ES
                        ‘77 XLCR

Porkchop Express

Comment

Working...
                        X