No announcement yet.

semi-floating brake rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyway, back on topic, have you decided what you want to go for now mr Lurch?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      anyway, back on topic, have you decided what you want to go for now mr Lurch?
      Because I would have to drill out the 9 buttons on the stock bandit rotors and pay about $80(x2) for a new package of 12 replacable buttons (9 per rotor) I opted to pick up a decent set(both left and right fronts) of complete rotors off e-bay for $70 to hold me over for now. I should get them in the next few days and confirm that they are in fact in great shape and with no play around the buttons ....seller answered my pointed questions satisfactorly...we'll see??
      I may then experiment with drilling out the 9 buttons on the sloppy old rotor. Some web based articles say to use a grinding wheel instead. Only full floating buttons are available as aftermarket mods that I can find.

Comment

well good luck mate, hope they turn out a good buy for you. obviously we want pics of them when fitted
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Here is a pic of the old rotor with the broken wave washers allowing the disc to rattle and move forward/back and side to side instead of being snug. The red arrows show where all of the wave washers had broken apart, with a few completely missing. Not sure why the right rotor was like this and the left rotor is perfectly fine with no busted washers. Also, I would have to drill or use a grinder to pop the old buttons off. Replacement buttons and wave washers have a retaining clip to secure them in place. My replacement rotors are expected to be delivered today.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
            Because I would have to drill out the 9 buttons on the stock bandit rotors and pay about $80(x2) for a new package of 12 replacable buttons (9 per rotor) I opted to pick up a decent set(both left and right fronts) of complete rotors off e-bay for $70 to hold me over for now. I should get them in the next few days and confirm that they are in fact in great shape and with no play around the buttons ....seller answered my pointed questions satisfactorly...we'll see??
            I may then experiment with drilling out the 9 buttons on the sloppy old rotor. Some web based articles say to use a grinding wheel instead. Only full floating buttons are available as aftermarket mods that I can find.
            if you are going to experiment, then yes, a grinder is the only way to remove the old buttons, if they are sloppy fit then drilling them will just spin them and not actually drill through them.
            with new discs arriving anyway you have nothing to lose
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

You can whack those buttons with a hammer against an anvil and tighten them up enough to drill them out. They are soft compared to the disc material so you won't booger anything. Only do one at a time to make reassembly a doddle.

I can't believe the price of those new buttons - they used to be pennies and that made the job a no-brainer. Throwaway society now though.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Lurch my rotors are staring to develop slight movement... However I plan on replacing with EBC rotors sometime this winter or early next season.
                Link for you.http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome...oductid=116833

Sorry I didn't stumble on this thread earlier...
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                  Lurch my rotors are staring to develop slight movement... However I plan on replacing with EBC rotors sometime this winter or early next season.
                  Link for you.http://www.indysuperbike.com/custome...oductid=116833

Sorry I didn't stumble on this thread earlier...
                  If you can wiggle with 1 finger and thumb and there's movement forward/aft then the wave washers are tired or maybe broken like mine. There should be slight movement if you grab with some effort and some wiggle side to side is ok. How many miles on your Bandit? Original factory rotors?

I just finished mounting a good set of OEM rotors from a '98 Bandit and they are nice and tight and have smooth rotor surfaces. I will test drive soon. My left rotor was so loose that it rattled over bumps and freely moved fore/aft and sideways. I still had plenty of braking at triple digit speeds but didn't want to push it (right rotor was fine) anymore.
                  Those EBC rotors are $200 a set? or each?
                  They only use 6 buttons instead of OEM 9 buttons for lighter weight?

Comment

Steve I'm not off the top of my head sure if your bandit uses the same 6 pot tokico calipers as the Rex but either way you may, while you're in there, break them down and grease them. They're great binders, but they have a penchant for getting sticky real easy and over heating the rotor. That heat may have caused some warp which might have been what popped those buttons

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Steve I'm not off the top of my head sure if your bandit uses the same 6 pot tokico calipers as the Rex but either way you may, while you're in there, break them down and grease them. They're great binders, but they have a penchant for getting sticky real easy and over heating the rotor. That heat may have caused some warp which might have been what popped those buttons
                      Bandit uses the 4 pot Nissin calipers. They move nice and freely.
                      Check this link showing a Kawa using the Bandit caliper to replace his 6 pot stock caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                        Bandit uses the 4 pot Nissin calipers. They move nice and freely.
                        Check this link showing a Kawa using the Bandit caliper to replace his 6 pot stock caliper.

http://www.kawiforums.com/newbie-cor...s-98-zx6r.html
                        Yeah there's an ever long debate on the ZRX forum on ditching the 6pot for the Nissin 4pot. Some say they have better lever feel with decreased initial bite. Supposedly more linier feel or whatever. Personally, while I've never been able to compare the two back to back, I like a good hard bite, and if the system is bled and you've no water in your fluid, the lever feel on the 6 pots doesn't seem at all odd or notchy. I'd take either one compared to what mos of my GSes have felt like though

Comment

ive got one, 4 pot tokico caliper from a kawasaki zx9r on a kagazumi non floating disc. brake feel and strength is amazing. i can do stoppies with ease
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

One thing i find somewhat amusing:
                            A lot of us try and do things to upgrade our GSes where we feel they were lacking. I bought a newer bike to accomplish the same thing and I find it, compared to what I've been used to, more than adequate in the departments where i felt my GSes had some things I'd wish were better. Then I see the very same things I though lacked on my GSes, and are outstanding on my Rex, are the same things the guys on the ZRX board end up modding to be better. I've decided that, for motorcyclists, nothing is ever good enough

Comment

Working...
                            X