Front wheel change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front wheel change

I am busy working on both a GS1000EN and a Kawasaki Zephyr 1100. The plan is a few things from the zephyr will go onto the GS, in particular the wheels. I have just noticed the front wheel off the zephyr is an 18" and I am now a bit concerned about exhaust clearance considering the front will be lower. I am using forks off a GS1100GK which are wider and can take the new wheel easily......anyone any ideas...is the 1" lower front not an issue or should I look to extend the forks to get the hieght back (if yes any ideas how)??? any advice very much welcome

RB

This isn't a common swap so you might not find much experience with it. Anytime you transplant parts between models or even makes you take the responsibility for doing it safely.

The different size wheel will affect the bike geometry a bit but with different forks or triple trees you may be able to keep the rake within bounds. take measurements of what you start with and as things change decide how to react to it.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hi,

I'm just thinking out loud here so take this with a grain of salt.

With a smaller front wheel, hence lower front end, the steering will be quicker and maybe a bit more "twitchy" but perhaps not dangerously so. To minimize the effect make sure the forks are as far down as possible in the triple tree clamps. If the wheel is a little wider than the GS wheel you may be able to put a slightly larger tire to make up some of the difference too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Send a PM to Tatu. He's running a 16 inch wheel on his bike (I think).
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm not at home at the moment, stuck offshore in the middle of the North Sea with hundreds of questions and ideas...lol.. but weather permiting should be home tomorrow. I should really compare the forks from the GS1100GK and GS1000EN, I don't know if there is a difference in length. I had a quick dry run with the wheel before I came back to work when I realised the wheel was smaller...and I'll drop Tatu a quick note

Cheers guys

RB

Comment

Working...
          X