Master Cylinder rebuild ( Front '80 1000S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder rebuild ( Front '80 1000S

I am in the process of completely redoing the front bakes.

I tore the MC apart and I am attempting to reassemble. I am having a heck of a time getting the snap ring back in (ring was part of the rebuild kit).

I assume it needs to make it the the second slot, the 1st one being for the dust boot.

Any tips?

I think I used the pliers and a small screwdriver to help push it down.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
      I am in the process of completely redoing the front bakes.

I tore the MC apart and I am attempting to reassemble. I am having a heck of a time getting the snap ring back in (ring was part of the rebuild kit).

I assume it needs to make it the the second slot, the 1st one being for the dust boot.

Any tips?
      Yes, second groove.

It's not easy to get it seated all the way. Sometimes the washer is a tight fit in the bore and needs to be pushed down first.

Good luck
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

got these from amazon, made the job a breeze

RB

Comment

You need a circlip pliers, it will slide in, in a nano second. Harbor Freight for $2.49 with your 20% off coupon.

Comment

Well, I just managed to get the circlip in place. Now I'm working on the dust boot.

How do you know when this is in the right spot?!! This has been the least fun project to date on this bike.

Comment

Well, I just managed to get the circlip in place. Now I'm working on the dust boot.

How do you know when this is in the right spot?!! This has been the least fun project to date on this bike.
              Oh trust me they get better..

Comment

I ended up using a Q Tip to push the dust cover in place. Still no real way to tell if it seated propoerly.

Any way to test the caliper prior to reassembly?

Comment

With the MC rebuilt, should I see movement looking through the large hole of the reservoir body, as I compress the piston?

The piston compresses, but I do not see anything moving through the hole. I do see the corner of what appears to be the non-round piece of the rebuild kit.

Comment

With the MC rebuilt, should I see movement looking through the large hole of the reservoir body, as I compress the piston?

The piston compresses, but I do not see anything moving through the hole. I do see the corner of what appears to be the non-round piece of the rebuild kit.
                    I think you are ok, can you see the spring and small plunger out in front of the piston?

Comment

The large hole is on the back side of the piston, you probably won't see much there.

Did you clean out the small hole that is in the bottom of the reservoir? It would be just "downstream" of the large hole. In normal operation, it would be open between the reservoir and the brake hose, and would have the leading edge of the piston right next to it. The first couple of millimeters that the piston moves will cover the small hole and allow pressure to build in the hoses.

Not cleaning the small bleed hole is a common mistake that will lead to locked brakes in about five miles.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                        I think you are ok, can you see the spring and small plunger out in front of the piston?
                        Not sure what I am looking at, I just thought I should see movement through the large hole as the piston is compressed....just checking as I prefer to do things just once.

I cleaned both small holes, one in main reservoir and the other small hole in the other section of the MC.

If I insert a wire in the small hole and then gently compress the piston, will that tell me it is operating correctly?

Comment

Working...
                        X