Brake swap, '82 1100 to '79 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake swap, '82 1100 to '79 1000

I just bought an entire brake set-up from a '82 GS1100e that I plan to put on my '79 GS1000e. Got discs, calipers, and m/cs. Haven't seen the stuff yet as it's in shipping, but I want to order rebuild kits and new lines. Should I order lines for an '82, a '79, or will I need a custom set?

The '79 length parts work just fine. I have done at least 4 of them.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks. And they mate up to the m/cs and calipers in the same way/angle?

Comment

'78 w/ '83 front and '82 rear 1100E calipers.

'79 w/ '82 1100E fronts and stock rears.

'81 w/ '83 1100E calipers.

'80 w/ '83 1100E front end.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks, looks like I'm going shopping this afternoon.

Comment

Just check that it is an 82 and not an 81 as the leading axle calipers of the latter don't swap over. Otherwise it's a straight bolt up, mix and match on lines etc.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

FLHG,
              I have a pair of front '82 calipers that you can have for $55.00 plus shipping if you are interested.
              Probably fit in an $11.00 flat rate box.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                FLHG,
                I have a pair of front '82 calipers that you can have for $55.00 plus shipping if you are interested.
                Probably fit in an $11.00 flat rate box.

Daniel
                Thanks, but I think I'm good for now. Bought the entire system, minus lines, from a GSR member. Should be here soon, then gonna rebuild everything and install new lines.

Comment

Alright, so I have all my brake parts now except new lines. Have all the components glass beaded and ready for new paint. Have rebuild parts on the way from Ashley at Boulevard Suzuki. Need to order new lines. Don't want to make them myself. What brand do I shop for or stay away from? Who likes what?

Comment

Bump! Hoping for some opinions before I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                      Bump! Hoping for some opinions before I buy.
                      Here's one, don't buy these. Go with Saltymonk's twin pot conversion. While the improvement in braking from the early eighties brakes is noticeable, and the brakes will no longer squeal, the improvement from the twin pot conversion is drastic, a huge improvement. Something like a 10-20% improvement with the '80 GS brakes, compared to a 180% improvement with the twin pots.

(disclaimer, these are ass dyno numbers only)
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Just remeber if you use more powerfull calipers ,than Gsx1100et ones and Discs master cylinder also braided hoses and SBS brake pads....
                        as i fitted to my Gs1000s ,you can lock that front wheel stoping quickly from 70mph two up, i have done it so i know....

Comment

For SS brake lines, you can go with these guys

I have a complete set from them, I was fortunate enough to go to the store itself and pickup directly, I also dropped off my original ones so they could make a set for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Go with Saltymonk's twin pot conversion.
                            I took a good look at some of the threads on that and just decided against it. I wanted bolt-on, and I think an upgrade to slightly bigger pads, combined with complete rebuilds and braided lines is gonna do me just fine. The bike already stops fairly well with the old pads, lines, and fluid. Now, if I was doing a full-custom build on the bike, I'd be all over the conversion.

Comment

Z1 Enterprises has SS brake lines of various lengths.Measure yours get the proper length and fittings.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
                              http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                              1978 GS1000C
                              1979 GS1000E
                              1980 GS1000E
                              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Working...
                              X