Hints /tips for seized bleed nips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hints /tips for seized bleed nips

Anyone got any tips on getting bleed nipples out the front calipers.

I'm normally jynxd when it comes to these and i tend to shear them off... I am soaking them in wd40 for the last few days but still no movement at all.

Anyone got any hints tips

First off, WD40 is not the best penetrating oil. Get something better.

I like to always use a six-point socket to get the best grip.

If you DO shear it off, its pretty easy to drill out because it already has a pilot hole.

Comment

I would use Kroil or PB Blaster, rather than a Water Displacement fluid.
      If they do shear off, I would use a left-handed bit to remove it.

Comment

Soak it in PB or similar for 24 hrs, respraying periodically. Get a wrench on it that gives you the tightest fit. Might have to be an SAE size so there is zero slack on it. With a SMALL hammer, or something pretty light like a 3/8 ratchet, 3/4" box end wrench, etc., tap on it gently and sharply. The idea is to crack it loose not manhandle it into submission. Good luck!

Comment

The best stuff you can get over here is 3 in 1 Professional Penetrating Oil - it works. WD40 doesn't. Soak the threads in a squirt or 2 every day for a few days and then have a go at undoing the nipples. Don't be brutal - if it won't shift have another go a couple of days later - the buggers snap like carrots. Try soaking from the inside as well as the outside (caliper dismantled).

If you still have a no-go try heating till red hot with a gas torch. If still a no go you can either break off and drill out (don't use an easy out - it will snap and you'll be worse off). Or you could just leave alone and buy a couple of banjos with the bleed nipple incorporated.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Do as Cableguy suggested.
            Make certain that you use a 6-point socket to distribute the load on the fitting.
            When it looks bleak, use heat to get it hot and then allow it to cool a little before trying again.
            Brake fluid is flammable. Be careful.

Daniel

Comment

It should be an 8 mm. Heat is always a stuck bolts enemy. Heat it, oil it, break them loose.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

cheers all.

Comment

So are we to take that as you got them loose??? What method worked for you???
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X