brake switch advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake switch advice

My new project has the front brake switch hanging off.

I have just bought a rebuild kit, but it looks a bit of a nightmare, I think ive even had a go at doing this before it before but not successfully.

So hopefully this time round...

I just wanted to know the spring and the square bit... does this fit into the th cut out in the brake lever that you can see underneath when you press the brake....

If anyone can tell me how it works it might help me understand how to fix it... any help appreciated at always guys.

My Gs1085s doesnt have a front brake light switch fitted and never have in the 11yrs i have owned it,never been questioned at MOTs either.....

Comment

check this out.
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

Like Steve says, it's not an MOT item on bikes of this age so I wouldn't bother. Rear brake switch is required to work however.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I replaced mine last weekend. I bought the replacement on Ebay for $7.70 ( to identify the seller) I don't think the quality was as good as the OEM switch. I also found the small board? was slightly larger that the original, which did affect the fit.

Definately a trial and error install. Follow the link Rover supplied above and you will get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Like Steve says, it's not an MOT item on bikes of this age so I wouldn't bother. Rear brake switch is required to work however.
            Also it scares the Jelly mould brigade sh*tless when you going for it on a twisty back road.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
              I replaced mine last weekend. I bought the replacement on Ebay for $7.70 ( to identify the seller) I don't think the quality was as good as the OEM switch. I also found the small board? was slightly larger that the original, which did affect the fit.

Definately a trial and error install. Follow the link Rover supplied above and you will get it done.
              Cheers, so the bit that slots in with the spring.. so you fit it with brake pressed in slightly, i.e in to the hole on the brake?

Can this be done on the bike or does it need to come off the bike?

Comment

Can be done on the bike. Easiest is to loosen the MC a bit and twist it so it's upside down - saves things falling out and you can see what you're doing. Don't spill any brake fluid though!
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                X