No announcement yet.

upgraded shocks and springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah. kinda blows but rather safe than sorry.

Comment

when i replace my fork springs with new ones do i just put a spacer tube in place of the original upper spring? The upper spring is relatively soft atleast compared to the longer lower spring.

Comment

Just use what holds the front end up and gives you the stiffness you prefer. If you buy Progressive springs, they'll probably be long enough by themselves, though most guys use some kind of preload spacer, made from washers, steel tube or pvc pipe. On my 550, I needed only a few flat washers, to add about 1/2 inch.

Comment

i'm planning on using some sonic straight rate springs with some racetech emulators. my problem is the springs are only like 14 inches long. the lower spring by itself is about 18.5 inches. plus the 6.5 inch upper spring. granted the emulator will give me some more length but the spacer will have to be like ten inches long if i don't use the very soft upper spring.
          Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Replace it with PVC pipe. Otherwise you'll have a dual rate spring with very soft start...

On a 550 I worked on I simply removed the soft spring and replaced it with spacer. Worked great.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

ok. i will. it just seemed like a very long spacer. most of the ones i've read about that put spacers in are only about 3 inches long give or take not 10 inches.

Comment

As long as the spring you use has enough compression to allow full fork travel then it doesn't matter how much spacer you have in there.

Preload takes away from the available spring compression.
                With. 14" straight rate spring I suspect the available compression has to be at least 7" probably more.
                Sonic should have those figures.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

do you know how much fork travel there should be?

Comment

Do you want me to ride it for you as well??

Probably 5" I would think however it's impossible to know for sure as it appears you don't have stock forks fitted if yours are 37mm..

If you have the springs removed you can measure it
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

that would be nice. take some of the guess work out of it.
                      every piece of information I can find says the 79 750 L had 37mm. while all the others had 35mm. Z1 shows the L series having 37mm forks. I do appreciate all the help though!

Comment

Working...
                      X