swapping brake master cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swapping brake master cylinders

Cheers I will take a look, any particular model of ninja, sorry over here we call a few of the ninja... are we talking zx6r's etc?

Just a thought... So the master cylinder, doen the white box secion but come off? if so can I "turn it around" so the bit with the naff scre thread is at the other side.... my thinking if all of the bolt holes are hollow, and I have seen people putting a nut on the end of it, but this cant be done on the one that wont bite as the brake lever is under it, but if I tunred it around then it wouldnt be... if that makes sense.

also if you take the box section off (the white bit) how is it sealed back on ?

any help appreciated.

Sorry Bikerzx you're not making any sense. What bike, what master cylinder, what brake setup, etc.

Comment

There is an O ring in the bottom but it needs the bolts to put pressure on it.
      The plastic bit is just hollow from memory, the threads are in the aluminium so spinning it won't help you....

This is the one I'm thinking of but there must be plenty of other options. Pick something with twin disks, maybe a hornet or something. Sport bike ones don't usually have mirror mounts.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have an '88 ZX10 M/C on my bike with twin front discs and twin piston calipers. As you can see it has the place to attach the mirror.

Comment

It depends which MC you have got - some use 2 bolts and some use 4 to hold the cup down. Can you pop up a photo and we'll be able to advise for sure.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Sorry Bikerzx you're not making any sense. What bike, what master cylinder, what brake setup, etc.

Apologies, was typing faster than I could think.

I have a 1980 GS1000G, it has the master cylinder with the 4 bolts, with single lead going off to the front brakes.

The four bolts on the master cylinder, the one bolt above the brake lever wont hold a screw. I noticed that if you push a straw down the other 3 wholes it just comes out of the end, so if it was these that wouldnt hold a screw i could put a longer screw in and bolt on the end. But as its the one above the brake lever its not possible.

I just thought, if i pulled the white reservior bit off the lever and spun it around, the whole that wont hold the screw would not be above the brake lever and therefore I could put a longer screw on it and a bolt... or am I talking rubbish?

Comment

Cheers mate, What do you do about the brake switch? do you just use the original ?

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              There is an O ring in the bottom but it needs the bolts to put pressure on it.
              The plastic bit is just hollow from memory, the threads are in the aluminium so spinning it won't help you....

This is the one I'm thinking of but there must be plenty of other options. Pick something with twin disks, maybe a hornet or something. Sport bike ones don't usually have mirror mounts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/07-08-KAWA...#ht_500wt_1287

Comment

You can't use the original, use the Kwacker one which is just a microswitch or use a hydraulic one that's on a banjo bolt.

Make sure you get the right thread.... some are 1mm some are 1.25mm pitch from memory.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just an update,

Went in to the garage today to see what I can sort out with the brake master cylinder, pretty skint so couldt afford to by a replacement just yet.

I took the white container part of the master cylinder and drilled out the existing hole and re tapped it.

Put it all back together and seems to work ok, well.. need to bleed it now but atleast it holds a screws again.

thanks for everyones time and advice

Comment

Working...
                  X