Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Break-In New Tires -- Opinions

The title says it all. Opinions please?

How many miles are required to break-in new tires before aggressive riding can be undertaken?

What is the best method to break then in: h'way or twisties?

Don,

In my opinion a short steady ride through some twisties will scruff the tyres up sufficiently to allow for more aggressive riding. The twisties will allow you to rough up the majority of the tyre surface. All you need to do is break that smooth shiny surface of the new tyre.

Interested to hear what others have to say.
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Big smokey burnout in the driveway?

Kidding. I've heard of people sanding the surface down lightly with paper and/or a green brillow pad. I've always taken it easy on new tires for the first hundred miles or so. I'm curious as to others responses as well.

Comment

The slipperyness of a new tyre comes from the moulding release compound which also preserves the tyre surface till worn and washed away.A gentle 50-100km but I never fully trust a front tyre till it has been used in the wet

Comment

just ride it like its wet for 20 klms bt remeber still "green" rubber on the extreme sides

Comment

Like the others say plus I always use a scourer to wash / scrub my new tyres with soapy water and rinse to try and shift any lingering tyre release agent. Pass if it does any good but I've always done it (at least it shifts any spilt tyre mounting goop).
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
              Don,

In my opinion a short steady ride through some twisties will scruff the tyres up sufficiently to allow for more aggressive riding. The twisties will allow you to rough up the majority of the tyre surface. All you need to do is break that smooth shiny surface of the new tyre.

I believe this is correct. It's not a matter of washing off mold release compound. The smooth surface needs to be roughed up, and the only way to do that on the edges of the tire are to lean the bike over.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r View Post
                The slipperyness of a new tyre comes from the moulding release compound which also preserves the tyre surface till worn and washed away.A gentle 50-100km but I never fully trust a front tyre till it has been used in the wet
                I agree, that moulding release agent needs to be completely gone. New tires are "slick" and I don't think I'd be doing anything agressive until I'm absolutely sure all traces of it are gone. The last of the compound that will go will be the areas closest to the sidewall, no extreme leaning for me. I ride it off, but I think you could wash it off and or rough up the tire.
                sigpic
                Steve
                "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

One more reason to "take it easy" for the first 50-100 miles:

Yes, there is a mold-release agent that needs to be scuffed off, but it's also important to remember that the profile of the new tires will be different than the ones that came off. The new tires will be rounder, meaning that the tires will turn-in easier in the turns. This change in handling will take some getting used to.

You asked for opinions. This opinion and a couple of bucks might get you a small cup of coffee.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    One more reason to "take it easy" for the first 50-100 miles:

Yes, there is a mold-release agent that needs to be scuffed off, but it's also important to remember that the profile of the new tires will be different than the ones that came off. The new tires will be rounder, meaning that the tires will turn-in easier in the turns. This change in handling will take some getting used to.

You asked for opinions. This opinion and a couple of bucks might get you a small cup of coffee.

A very small cup of coffee out here. In OZ everything is overpriced. My tires cost me double what you guys would have paid in the States.

Always value your opinions Steve (even those on the usage of the English language).

And all the opinions of others as well.

Comment

On a slightly different issue, when I picked the wheels (wire spokes) up from the bike shop the owner advised me I should run 34lb in the front tire and 36lb in the rear one. He has owned the shop for over 30 years, he works on all types of bikes, dirt, road, modern and even older bikes as well. He had Kawa Z1R MkII in the workshop when I was there. He also has two CBR400 Hondas that his mechanics race in the modern class here in Sydney.

So I value his opinion, but was just wondering what others thought?

Thanks for the input from everyone so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                        On a slightly different issue, when I picked the wheels (wire spokes) up from the bike shop the owner advised me I should run 34lb in the front tire and 36lb in the rear one. He has owned the shop for over 30 years, he works on all types of bikes, dirt, road, modern and even older bikes as well. He had Kawa Z1R MkII in the workshop when I was there. He also has two CBR400 Hondas that his mechanics race in the modern class here in Sydney.

So I value his opinion, but was just wondering what others thought?

Thanks for the input from everyone so far.
                        Giving someone tire pressure figures is not the way to go about this. You should use the 10% rule. The tire pressure should rise 10% when they are hot vs cold. If the pressure rises more you are running too little air and the tire is heating up more than it should. If it rises less the tire pressure is too high and the tire won't reach proper operating temps.

Comment

Start there and check your pressures by the 10-percent rule. Best option is to know what they will do for yourself.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks Guys, I have seen the 10% rule posted here before and used it on my old tires to get there tire pressure correct which just happened to be the same as the pressures quoted in my '77 Owners manual.

When the tires are scrubbed in I will run the 10% test again and see how they fare.

Comment

Call me mad , but !! I put my bikes on their centre stands and run them in third gear and use a 60 grit sand paper on all the surface until the glaze is gone, for the front , the same, but powered by the chuck of my cordless drill held against the tyre, works for me , and you know its scrubbed in when you crank it into the first corner, cheers jon

Comment

Working...
                              X