No announcement yet.

How to Break-In New Tires -- Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just put a few miles of slower exaggerated turns on them and we are good to go...

Daniel

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

The sandpaper trick is out for me as I already have 75 miles on the tires.

I ran it pretty hard on the last 15 or so miles and it seemed to be sticking to the road OK. Although on two slower, tighter corners the bike bucked a bit/changed direction slightly, coming out of the corners. Not sure if this was because I got onto a part of the rear tire that was not scuffed yet or if it was the dual compound effect of the BT45s. I believe they have one compound for straight upright/h'way riding (harder compound) and another compound for when the bike is leaned over (softer rubber) for more grip in corners.

Comment

Those BT-45's are great tires.
        I have them on three of my GS bikes.
        You can take them all the way to the edge and they grip!

Daniel

Comment

Ride it till the sticker is gone. I ride em as normal to get up to temp / then pushing it gently / slowly as far as possible and feel if it gives a bit.

Figure 8's in a lot alternating directions and hitting my favorite twisty road usually does it for me...
          Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2011, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks Daniel, that is good to hear. These tires do seem to grip well and I am pleased with them so far. Will have to keep an eye on whether bucking happens again or not, hope not and hope it's not a mismatch between the front and rear tires.

Comment

As a matter of fact, I built this exhaust system to have the most ground clearance possible on my GS.
              I have NEVER had it hit while riding extremely briskly by my self in over 15 years and well over 80,000 miles.
              A couple of Summers ago, with my Wife on back and the pre-load adjusted for her additional 125 pounds, we were taking a nice hi-speed turn at about 85 when I felt it hit!
              She never screamed, dug her nails in or even mentioned it.
              After three days, I asked her if she felt it and knew what it meant.
              She said: "We hit hard parts"
              I had/have the BT-45 V-rated tires on it and here is the proof:

In that pic, I believe that you can clearly see that the chicken strip goes to the edge.
              I still have to rig the bike up to some slings to see just how far we were laid over for it to have hit.
              We were parallel to the ground on that turn when it hit.

Daniel

Comment

I forgot to mention that the bike has progressive shocks and springs front and back with the heavy duty rear spring.
                The front tire had 40 psi and the rear had 42 psi.

Daniel

Comment

WOW Daniel, that's some cornering.

BTW which bike was it that you are talking about.

Comment

That was on this '79 750E with the bored-over '79 1000 engine that is 1100cc's.(not 1085)

It now has rectangular turn signals, mirrors and front fender.
                    Still my favorite bike to ride after 31 years together.
                    She gets bumped up to 1114cc's when I take her apart one of these days.

Daniel
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2011, 03:28 AM.

Comment

She'd have some grunt then Daniel.

Comment

Working...
                      X