Tire size help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire size help please

I have a 1980 gs750e. I just purchased it in the fall and without much research to it to a dealer for new tires. I went with Bridgestone Battlax. My question is about the rear tire size, it doesn't look right to me, it looks too small. Maybe it's me. The size they put on is 110/80-18. It looks kinda wimpy but if it is right then so be it. It is very confusing trying to figure out conversion charts.
    Thanks,
    Here is a pic
    No signature

Next time, go with the 120/90-18.
    See post 21 and 22 in this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=186420

That is on my '79 750E.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Next time, go with the 120/90-18.
      See post 21 and 22 in this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=186420

That is on my '79 750E.

Daniel
      Hey thanks Daniel,
      So did the dealer put me in the wrong direction? Or did they put the right original size on?
      No signature

Comment

That size is closer to the stock size. 110/80-18=4.00"-18" IIRC.
        The 120/90 is just a scosh wider and taller.

Daniel

Comment

For that rim size the tire you have is OK, not dangerous or anything like that. It would have been a bit better at 110/90-18, but what you have is OK. 80% might just lower the gearing a tad - probably not even noticeable. I have just had a 110/90-18 Battlax put on the rear of my bike and it works fine, although most on the forum like to go up a size to the 120/90-18 as suggested by Daniel in his post. Either way is fine. It's certainly not too narrow.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the advice I feel much better now(gotta love this site)! I have already put about 3000kms on the tires since getting them in Oct. So I won't be to long before I can replace them.
            No signature

Comment

If they were new tires and you are looking to replace them after 3000 kms, I would SERIOUSLY look into getting some different tires.

I realize that different riders have different riding styles and prefer different tires, but replacing tires every couple of months does not sound the least bit appealing.

I ride in a more "conservative" manner and expect no less than 10,000 MILES (about 16,000 kms) out of my tires.
              My Wing actually goes well over 20,000 miles on its tires, no idea why the tires for the GS don't go that long, too.

By the way, that "over 20,000 miles" doesn't take very long to rack up around here. This year has been a low-mileage year, with only about 8,000 miles, but just a couple of years ago, I put on over 27,000 miles (43,000 kms) in one year. That is why I want tires that last a bit longer than 3,000 kms.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If they were new tires and you are looking to replace them after 3000 kms, I would SERIOUSLY look into getting some different tires.

I realize that different riders have different riding styles and prefer different tires, but replacing tires every couple of months does not sound the least bit appealing.

I ride in a more "conservative" manner and expect no less than 10,000 MILES (about 16,000 kms) out of my tires.
                My Wing actually goes well over 20,000 miles on its tires, no idea why the tires for the GS don't go that long, too.

By the way, that "over 20,000 miles" doesn't take very long to rack up around here. This year has been a low-mileage year, with only about 8,000 miles, but just a couple of years ago, I put on over 27,000 miles (43,000 kms) in one year. That is why I want tires that last a bit longer than 3,000 kms.

LOL I won't replace them with only 3000km they are of course in great shape still. I am just saying putting on 3000km in less than 3 months and in this time of year, it won't be long before I am ready. And now I have an excuse to get more riding in too. You know "honey I gotta wear out my back tire so I can replace it".
                No signature

Comment

BTW, I get between 8 and 11,000 miles out of the rear BT-45 tires.
                  The front is good for more than 20,000 miles.
                  Keep riding! It will be a long time before you wear it out. LOL!

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                  X