new shocks - does this look ok to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new shocks - does this look ok to you?

I just got some ikon 12" shocks in the mail yesterday (yes I know stock is 13") and the rubber on one of the eyes looks chewed up.

I wrote to z1 and sent these photos and I'm waiting to hear what they say. They may come back and apologize and get another one sent out to me right away, but figured I'd lean on some of the expertise here since I don't know if that rubber is even important. Will this matter? Should I push for a replacement if they balk?

Doesn't quite look "new", but Z1 is NOT known for selling junk.

Could be a simple error in the injection of the rubber bushing.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Doesn't quite look "new", but Z1 is NOT known for selling junk.

Could be a simple error in the injection of the rubber bushing.

Yeah, thanks - I know they're a highly regarded reseller here and I don't think they're trying to pull a fast one one me.

I guess my question really is, "if you got this in the mail, would you expect a replacement?" I just don't know whether that missing piece of bushing will impact anything about the life / quality of the shock, or if it's really a non-issue.

Comment

if you bought it as "new" shocks then i would certainly be asking for a replacement or a refund, the look very second hand to me
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

What does the other one look like? Maybe it should be flush that side and this is "flash". If thats the case you can just trim it.

My works shocks are flush on one side and stock are flush both sides...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Might have been a returned item that someone had mounted, pure speculation on my part. With the rubber gone water will get into the bushing and corrosion will start. You could probably repair it if you wanted to use them. Jeff will probably offer a replacement.

Comment

I don't know...not sure that water will really get in there and cause any issues, at least in the usable lifetime of that shock. Certainly find out what they might do for you. You can alway trim the rough edges of rubber off. The washer you use behind the mounting nut is going to flush up to the bushing anyway. Just curious....why did you go an inch shorter other than maybe a great price on these shocks leftover in stock? I think you'll find it harder to get on the center stand and maybe drag stuff quicker in the corners, which would be annoying to me.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-30-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

You're most likely right Steve. I've gotten so use to every mounting point needing to pivot a little with mono-shocks I worry about things like that. There isn't much need to worry about it with dual shocks.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  I don't know...not sure that water will really get in there and cause any issues, at least in the usable lifetime of that shock. Certainly find out what they might do for you. You can alway trim the rough edges of rubber off. The washer you use behind the mounting nut is going to flush up to the bushing anyway. Just curious....why did you go an inch shorter other than maybe a great price on these shocks leftover in stock? I think you'll find it harder to get on the center stand and maybe drag stuff quicker in the corners, which would be annoying to me.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Z1 has been closed since thursday so I'll hope for an email response from them on or after Tuesday. If they'll replace them I'll take them up on it; the shocks certainly were not sold as used. Otherwise maybe I'll ask for some credit or something.

the great price on those shocks was the only reason for buying them - i'd prefer to keep it stock at 13", but for the foreseeable future my option was to go with these or not at all. I'm replacing the fork springs also this winter and don't want to have just half the suspension replaced.

I'll try them out and hope for the best - I am pretty sure other folks here have run 12" shocks without much issue. Not overly worried about dragging (anyway my stocks are currently measuring about 12.75 unloaded, so these aren't even a full inch shorter). More concerned about the center stand but it should be manageable. Figure if it feels weird I can always buy 13s later on and try to resell these as lightly used.

Comment

I would send these pics to them, they do not look new.

Comment

I had a chance to look closer at my Ikons yesterday and those ones you received are definitely not right, there should be exposed rubber either side of the eye, so definitely get something done about them.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

By the way, Jeff Saunders from Z1 is a member here so shoot him a PM to this thread and he'll work with you.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

kind thanks! i reached out to Jeff just now.

the more i look at these the more i think they might have been mounted. the photos i posted are all of one eye at different angles - that's the worst one. The others all look passable, but not flawless either. anyway, i guess this project will keep a few weeks seeing as the current shocks have been in place for 32 years

thanks again,

aaron

Comment

It's tough to know why the rubber is like this - it has to be a factory assembly issue. The shocks are not used, and they are not returns. The 12" eye-to-eye shock was the one length we never sold until we had our clearance sale.

We would take them back, but we cannot replace them as we don't have any of these left in stock. We have discontinued them due to massive cost increases - the exchange rates with Australia have pushed the prices up dramatically over the past year or two - new sets would jump in price from $300 to over $450.

As we cannot replace them, I see a couple of choices - you return them for a full refund, or you keep them and we pay for a tube of windshield sealer (or similar) which you can use to build up the missing rubber.

Let me know your preference. Jeff

Comment

If it were me knowing how hard it is to come by quality shocks for these old bikes I'd make my own seal and live with it. It's not a big issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X