Pumps/Guages/Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pumps/Guages/Pics

Per my recent intro email, I am back to owning a 79 GS 1000e after a 30 year hiatus (! really). I have seen some confusing info about the front fork adjustments in the service manual- specifically, use of a hand pump and guage. Before waiving good bye to my new/old bike on its way to winter storage, I recall seeing just the valves on the fork where you can connect some kind of pump. My OLD, old 79 GS (1980s owned one also) the prior owner had installed a balance tube and a small readout gauge of some kind. Questions- can I still buy the handpump that apparently came with the bike. Any collectors that might have one??? Did it have a guage built into it of some kind? Does anyone have the kit that my OLD, old bike had-ie it look like a small diameter air hose that connected the forks and a small PSI guage that stayed on the bike. Not sure if I would reinstall it, but I have a vivid memory of it. Does anyone have a pic of the factory pump- I didn't get one on either bike.
    1979 GS 1000e
    1967 Triumph Bonneville
    1986 Honda VFR 750
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2015 KLR 650
    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
    And so on...

sigpic

I never knew there was a 'factory' pump for the bikes. Why wouldn't you just use a good old bike pump, or are you looking for all the stock bits and pieces?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Rob is correct

No pump came with the bike. It did have a nifty red air guage with the tool kit

The hot tool BITD was a Motion Pro hand pump, which was a fat syringe with a length of hose and a Schraeder coupler (I have one somewhere)(it's not on their page anymore)

Nowdays, most of upgrade the fork spring to Sonic or Progressive and don't use air pressure

Do not use an air compressor - you're talking about 8-16 PSI here
      Last edited by Big T; 01-04-2012, 02:11 PM.
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The owner's and service manuals contain dangerous, badly outdated information.

Air pressure is an ineffective, unreliable (and therefore dangerous) way to stiffen the front end. It's also a great way to wear out your fork seals prematurely. Please disregard these sections of your manuals.

The correct solution is to replace the pitiful and sagged stock fork springs. Straight-rate fork springs of the proper spring rate for your weight and riding style are the best solution ( http://sonicsprings.com ).

If you're of light-to-average weight (about 175 pounds or lighter), second best would be the more "universal" progressive-wound springs available from Progressive.

Replace the fork oil with fresh 10 or 15W fork oil set to the proper level, and enjoy your transformed GS...
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi,

Are you speaking of this air gauge?

My bike came with an air gauge for the forks, but it wasn't like the one above. It's stashed in the garage somewhere. I don't use it any more since installing Progressive springs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

No pump came with the bike.
            But the air gauge that came with it is one like this, unfortunately it is now very hard to find.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

ask and ye shall...

all good info. that is just what I was asking. the manuals do describe the pump that appears below, and also the small gauge that came with the bike. Very cool that they still exist. I am a bit of a nostalgia guy- having bought the bike as a time portal back to my 1st GS in the 80s. I might just break down and overpay for the ones on ebay to enhance the "museum" experience. (note that I already have progressive springs going in- so it is not going to be truly "original"--- lets not get carried away here) many thanks
              1979 GS 1000e
              1967 Triumph Bonneville
              1986 Honda VFR 750
              2014 Indian Vintage
              2015 KLR 650
              2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
              2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
              2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
              And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by open1mind View Post
                ... the manuals do describe the pump that appears below, ...
                How can the pump "appear below" when yours is the last post and there is no picture in it?

Oh, yeah, you probably have your post order in the default setting, which puts the newer posts on top.

Much easier to read a thread if you go to the User CP tab, select the "Edit Options" button and change your settings.
                Scroll down to the Thread Display Options section, change the display mode to "Linear - Oldest first".
                While you are there, go down to the next item and select "Show 40 Posts Per Page", it makes reading longer threads much easier.

Before anyone complains that, by setting the newest posts to the bottom of the page and will be hard to find, let me tell you that it's still very easy to go to the newest posts, or at least the ones that have been posted since you last saw that thread. In the forum index that shows all the threads, click on the little at the front of the title. That takes you to the posts you have not yet read.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  How can the pump "appear below" when yours is the last post and there is no picture in it?

Oh, yeah, you probably have your post order in the default setting, which puts the newer posts on top.

Much easier to read a thread if you go to the User CP tab, select the "Edit Options" button and change your settings.
                  Scroll down to the Thread Display Options section, change the display mode to "Linear - Oldest first".
                  While you are there, go down to the next item and select "Show 40 Posts Per Page", it makes reading longer threads much easier.

Before anyone complains that, by setting the newest posts to the bottom of the page and will be hard to find, let me tell you that it's still very easy to go to the newest posts, or at least the ones that have been posted since you last saw that thread. In the forum index that shows all the threads, click on the little at the front of the title. That takes you to the posts you have not yet read.

Should be the forum standard, if you ask me, most forums are set this way, well at least most of the ones I go to, or have maintained, or run

just my 2 cents worth....now back to your regular programming...

Comment

Working...
                  X