Rear Tire Fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Tire Fitment

I am going to replace the rear tire on my 82 GS450T and am wondering why things fit so snugly at the rear wheel. The 110/90 17's that are currently on the bike come real real close to rubbing up against the rear torque link that runs from the swingarm to the rear brake drum. If I wanted to go to 120mm tires I don't even think it will be possible. Just looking for some of the experts to weigh in here and just glean some knowledge concerning my bike. Thanks.

Hi,

It's best if you use the tire size that the bike was designed for: 90/90-19 front and 110/90-17 rear.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

120s wouldn't even fit properly on your rim, let alone fitting in the swing arm. Bigger isn't always better.

Comment

If the current sized tires are already snug why would you want to go even bigger? Doing so will require some serious modifications as well as possibly problems with handling. Is that what you really want?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm good with 110/90 17's on the rear. Although I was doing my first oil change on the bike today and was torquing the oil filter cover nuts down within the specified range and one of them went real loose and will not tighten anymore. I ran the bike and just went out to look and it is leaking oil a little near the cover and somewhere out of the gear selector where it enters the case. DARN IT!!! I will be moving this post to another area.

Comment

Working...
          X