twitchy forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

twitchy forks

Ive noticeed that the faster I go the more delicate the handling is in the front. A slight gust or if you jiggle the handle bars a little, it feels like it coould go into a "tank slapper" if i letit. Its not uncontrollable, but it feels like it could benefit from a steering dampener, Its pretty stiff in the front, so Ive tried adjusting it to a softer setting but I dont feel any change. Has anyone installed a dampener? If so where do I get one.
    side note: Ive almost got my 1st 1000 miles and today I got pulled over by the hwy patrol doing 72 in a 60. I explained to him that I was uncertain about the speedo accuracy and that I had rebuilt it. He seemed somewhat impressed. Gave me a warning. It didnt hurt that I was in nps uniform. So I know that 80=72.

What's the oil weight and level like in the forks?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Start with the simple stuff, look at the condition of your front tire, check air pressure, could be the head bearings. How many miles on the bike?

Comment

Also, make sure the fork height is set correctly. If the forks are too high in the triple clamp, even by just a couple of mm's, can drastically alter the handling characteristics. Higher equals faster steering at the cost of stability (read twitchy). Lower in the clamps equals better stability but slower steering. This is something we do regularly with our MX bikes to tune for track and dirt conditions.

Of course the above assumes all else is setup and working properly (bearings, axles, clamps, etc.).
        1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
        1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
        2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Head bearings, fork oil weight, preload, etc etc all play into this. Also check the rear end while you're at it. Swingarm bearings or a Swingarm nut not torqued properly will cause slop.

If you get the front end off the ground, and turn the bars side to side slowly, and feel any notches or detente your bearings are shot. Or rather the races are shot. A steering damper for one of these bikes for the street is usually a waste of money. Their generous wheelbase makes them one of the more stable old bikes out there at high speed. Steering dampers are generally reserved for bikes whose rake and trail is ultra aggressive or bikes who's wheel base has been altered for quicker steering.

Comment

ill check all thaats mentioned. The tire is new, but Im leaning toward the fork height suggestion as Ive had those out twice. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Good Luck and Don't forget to let us know the outcome.
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Working...
              X