\\\---79 GS850 fork removal ---///

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

\\\---79 GS850 fork removal ---///

Got the urge to change out front fork oil on 79 GS850 . According to service manual its a simple matter of loosening upper and lower pinch bolts and "twisting" fork down and out..
    My issue is with the twisting down and out. The headlight brackets are tight {for lack of a better word} around the inner fork tube . So when I twist the fork the headlight bracket moves with and is holding up the fork from sliding down and out.
    If anyone has run into this or can spot something maybe I missed , or have overlooked I would like to know. Im at the point of getting the sawzall out .I just got new chrome headlight brackets , cafe look. So releasing a little aggression on these ugly stubborn stock brackets is starting to appeal to me. Seriously tho Would be nice if I could remove them without hacking em up .

Graf.

Have you thought about using a lubricant such as dish soap or penetrating oil?

Daniel

Comment

Tighten the pinch bolts and gently try to move the ear inward and outward
      They should move. It the are truly stuck can you drive the stanchion downward using a suitable drift.

Something made of wood. Drift wood hahhaha oh my.

Are the pinch bolts all sufficienyly loose?
      Is there any chance that downward force has drawn a portion of the headlight ear tubes into the lower holes in the triple clamp. Sort of like a jam caused by a bit of shim material.

Comment

Agree with Jeeprusty, ensure all pinch bolts are loose and just twist and pull down. It took a bit to get mine out but not that hard.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

you can take a flat tip and put it in the slot where the bolts go thru and pry the slot apart a bit to loosen the pinch effect even a little more. I agree with the others in that they should just slide down pretty effortlessly.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The Person I got the bike from has bent both headlight ears so they would be wide enough to accept a square headlight housing . . All my pinch bolts are removed , have pryed at upper and lower mounts to widen , Im getting the sawzall out with a nice new shiny blade.

Comment

If you have everything removed, then take a very small flat tip and get it into the space between the stantion and the rubber grommets and throw a few drops of penetrating oil in there...work the screwdriver around in a few places to get the oil to leak in. Then twist the uppers and they will come loose. The problem as i can decipher ism that the rubber grommets have sealed themselves aginst the stantions. work them loose with screwdriver and oil...
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                Have you thought about using a lubricant such as dish soap or penetrating oil?

Daniel

Did everyone miss this?
                I can imagine that the OP must have by now.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                X