1980 gs 750 tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs 750 tires?

I'm looking for a cheap set of tires for my 1980 suzuki gs 750. This will only be riden ocassionally around town, doesn't need to be a racer.

What size front and rear tires fit?
    110/90/18 rear
    100/90/19 front

Is that right?

The cheapest tires at motorcycle superstore is the shinko 770 front ($50) and a shinko 712 rear ($45). Any problems with this??

Thanks

I put Dunlop D404s on my '81 750. They run about $75 and $80 and have been put on my 1100E as well. They are H rated, which is fine for the type of riding that I do on them.

Comment

For just a few dollars more, I would prefer the Shinko 230 Tour Masters, but the rear would have to be a 120.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Was I correct with the tires sizes?

Front 100/90/19
        Rear 110 or 120/90/19

Do people order from the motorcycle superstore? Where is the best online deals?

Thanks,

Comment

The correct tire size depends on what is supposed to be there and the width of the rim. Too many times, a 'new' rider will try to replace with the same size that some previous owner managed to stuff in there. Please remember that, unlike a car, you can't simply mount a larger tire to put more rubber on the road. You have to match the tire to the size of the rim.

Most of our bikes come with a 90/90-19 in the front. Many of us have found that a 100/90-19 will slow down the speedometer error a bit without causing problems with the steering. Not sure what was originally on the rear of your bike, what is the rim size?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by roost View Post
            Was I correct with the tires sizes?

Front 100/90/19
            Rear 110 or 120/90/19

Do people order from the motorcycle superstore? Where is the best online deals?

Thanks,
            Hi Roost, I have the sams bike and put new bridgstone battalax on it when I bought the the bike in Sept. I took it to a dealer and they put the recomended sizes on. Which is a 110/80 for the back, but I think it looks to small on it, doesn't look right although it's the techniclly the right size. Next tire I will go with a 110/90 or a 120/90. You can see what I'm talking about in my photo albums.
            Cheers
            PS got any pics?
            No signature

Comment

I have those Shinkos on my 750.
              I Absolutely Love em...I usually daily ride it, and the tires hold strong.

They are smooth too, although they aren't soft-compound like the Avons and more expensive tires. But that's what I like them for...good cheap tires to burn up! The 750 is my "Straight-line" transportation bike or my weekend cruiser.
              And it works great for that.

I think I only paid $50 a tire, back when they were on sale?
              I think the PO had 130/90's, and I put 120/80's...because it was on sale, lol.

Comment

Roost you've the right sizes but I would go to Bike Bandit for a set of Bridgestone s11 Spitfires for about 120.00. Every winter I rebuild one or two Japanese classics as a working hobby and I had to find really decent tires on the cheap. I don't make a lot of profit on my rebuilds so my budget is slim and the Spitfires fit the bill. My clients haven't complained, (certainly not about "my" hobbywork) and I've put these tires on both my 83 KZ 550 LTD and my latest gem a 1982 GS 750 EZ , Such fun!
                Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2012, 01:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Battleaxe

I am using Bridgestone Battleaxe tires on my 83 750ES, I sometimes push her pretty hard and have never had occasion to have anything but total confidence in the tires. Very narrow chicken strip never a problem. You have to love dual compound sport trouring tires.

Comment

Working...
                  X