tires for a gs450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tires for a gs450

My 82 g450 is rated for 110/90 17's on the back and 19's on the front. I like the old school look of the coker tires or the continetal look as I will be shooting for a cafe build. The rear one is hard to find in that size for the look I want. Anyone have any suggetstions? Thanks?

I haven't really got an answer for the look you want, but don't go wider than the 110 as I've seen a few posts on here that indicate a 120 may cause clearance issues.

If you like the older looking stuff have you considered dual sport tyres instead? Shinko 244's come to mind as well as Pirelli Scorpions... I have Scorpions on my "scrambler".
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Here are a couple links,

Cedar Rapids Tire is Iowa’s largest provider of specialty tires since 1992. We also sell tire chains and parts/accessories.

If you use their search engines you come up with one rear choice: an IRC tire. If i see anything else I will pass it along. There seems to be a lot more options with the gs450e/s models but those run on mags not spokes.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I found the same IRC tire.....why is it so difficult to find a 17" tire with that width? I know anything above 110 will rub the rear torque link. If I go to a 110/90 18" tire will that work? I wonder......

Comment

Sorry, but NO. It's a 17' rim. An 18' tire wont work. Your other option is to go smaller width at 100/90 but that only gives one more tire option and you will lose contact patch size. I guess it depends on what kind of budget you have in mind and how badly you want that look. I don't know about the t model dimensions but I think you could put an 18' rim back there, you would have to buy a new rim and spoke set and lace it up. Or go with the 18' mags from the e/s models but I don' t know about break fit with your bike on those wheels. You could mod the torque link to give yourself room. Consider this though, no one will see what you have on as you roll by......
          Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

You could switch to a 16" off an L. I have a 130/90 on the back of mine with no clearance issues.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Americanmototire.com has my rear tire by IRC for $77 with free shipping! Looks like this is the best way to go since I don't feel like cutting and pasting the rear torque link on my bike right now. Really the only thing it is responsible for is to keep the brake drum from spinning around right?

Comment

Working...
              X