Fork seal removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork seal removal

Can't get fork seals (1980GL) to pop with just air. Left them overnight at 175 lbs. Question: Will more air pressure, say 250lbs, harm anything internally? Would prefer not to dismantle the damper bolt, etc. if possible. Any ideas?

you did remove the retainer clip ?

I have read it can take up to 180 even 200 psi, be careful and be patient.

Comment

A little heat with a heat gun wouldn't hurt either...

Comment

I pulled mine out by undoing the forks first (unscrewing the damper rod and pulling the forks apart) and then using a seal puller I bought from OReilly's to pull them out. Came out real easy.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I break them down all the way. While doing seals you may as well break them down and clean all the residue out of the tubes and lowers as well. At that point, I usually take the propane torch and heat the very top edge till the oil on top of the seals starts to bubble and a gentle pry with a screwdriver pops them right out.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to go ahead and break them down and do it right. I was hoping to be able to cheat a little and ride some this weekend, but brakes and forks it is. And that's not a bad afternoon.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X