Suzuki GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS1100

New to this forum but a long time lurker! I am down to my last GS i picked it up last year near Chicago. I brought it home and rode it one time. I rode my GS1000 last yea most of the time. But i sold it and it time to get the 1100 ready for the road. I just want to do a few minor things to it. Carbs, wheels, brakes, some minor appearance changes. So i will be on here with many questions im sure!

First thing im trying to do the bike is the bandit 1200 wheel upgrade. What all does it take? Spaceer and etc. i have searched this site and havnt found the clear answer on it. Im running the stock aluminum swingarm. I also wasnt to run the stock front forks. Ill install a fork brace. And i have a spare set of Hayabusa calipers. Will the bandit front wheel work in my fron end. I see alot of gsxr front ends with a bandit but i want to use the stock for time being.

You will find many answers here:http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_suspension.html
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

wheels

Talk to the katman he can answer your

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
        You should be able to get a Bandit Rear wheel to fit into a stock GS1100 swing arm, there are several folks that have done it including Katman. You run into issues with the rear brake master cylinder, but search its been done.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone adapt a Bandit front wheel to stock GS 1100 forks.
        Won't work. I don't think you'd even be able to get the wheel in there, and if you could you'd never get the brakes sorted out. Spacing is too narrow. But a bandit front end shouldn't be that difficult to source and since theyre not a fantastic fork they shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

Comment

I am running a 160 rear on my 80 1100e, I used the rear wheel off a 97 600 Bandit , caliper and cush drive off a 89 gs500e, and had to custom make my caliper mounting arm, set it up with a 530 chain conversion,15/47 pulls like a train, spacers on the rear wheel were a combination of the gs1100 and the bandits just shuffled around. I used the stock Gs11 aluminum swing arm. Now I am looking for a decent set of rear shocks Bike is now sold but worked great.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Won't work. I don't think you'd even be able to get the wheel in there, and if you could you'd never get the brakes sorted out. Spacing is too narrow. But a bandit front end shouldn't be that difficult to source and since theyre not a fantastic fork they shouldn't be too terribly expensive.
            I put a bandit rear in mine but had to use a Gs500 cush drive sprocket carrier, And a bandit front end will work you just have to do some stem work considering that it is about 1 1/8 in longer than the GS stem in the triple tree.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Sorry

If going to replace the front and rear of a classic GS why not just buy a 1250 Bandit and keep your GS classic and cool. Just my thoughts as a 80' GS1100L owner. I can see replacing the rear components but front & rear. Seems like creating a brand new bike that's already built with an older motor.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. blown4cylinder,

I can't help you with your mods but I can share a lot of general GS information.

You'll want to go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". You have a 30 year old motorcycle that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. Take NO shortcuts so that you and your bike will be insanely happy.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great Come Back

Isleoman great come back. Must have taken a long to time compile your thoughts to paper. I totally agree with modding an old bike. I want to mod my 1980 GS1100 to away from stock. Just not every component. I'm looking at www.gszone.biz for their 1260 engine kit with the .370 cam. My bike only has 18k so I can wait to pay cash for everything because that mod will require everything upgraded to survive. That's if I can keep the bike from doing back flips. The bike already points the front tire to the sky with a mild tug of throttle in 1st gear. But before I do any of that I'm changing out these crappy front brakes. Their terrible. I've put $600 bucks in the stock rebuild from the local bike shop with very little results. I've install custom built stainless lines, everything and still this bike feels like a school bus when I apply the front brake. To all if you want to change your rear trainling arms, front forks, rims, lights, seats, or whatever go ahead do what makes you smile. I'm twice divorces so my only decent wife is the one I pretend to be with.

Comment

Originally posted by blown4cylinder View Post
                    New to this forum but a long time lurker! I am down to my last GS i picked it up last year near Chicago. I brought it home and rode it one time. I rode my GS1000 last yea most of the time. But i sold it and it time to get the 1100 ready for the road. I just want to do a few minor things to it. Carbs, wheels, brakes, some minor appearance changes. So i will be on here with many questions im sure!

First thing im trying to do the bike is the bandit 1200 wheel upgrade. What all does it take? Spaceer and etc. i have searched this site and havnt found the clear answer on it. Im running the stock aluminum swingarm. I also wasnt to run the stock front forks. Ill install a fork brace. And i have a spare set of Hayabusa calipers. Will the bandit front wheel work in my fron end. I see alot of gsxr front ends with a bandit but i want to use the stock for time being.
                    bandit wheel up front isnt do able ..too wide for the fork...unless you do bandit or early gsxr RWU or USD frontend depending on the look you want . RWU gives more of a classic look. Rear is doable but you can hit complications with chain alignment and wotnot...

have a look here ... all been done a million times

friendly folks ,the occasional Ahole but loadsa knowledge and knowhow
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X